question on 318 magnum engine in street rod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 04:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

question on 318 magnum engine in street rod

I have a chance to buy a 2002 318 magnum engine and 46re trans.I would like to put it in my 1934 plymouth coupe.Has anyone ever installed one in a street rod and did you wire it up yourself?I know i should get a 5.7 hemi but my budget is low.I am looking for fuel mileage and good performance.I would think the 318 should get low 20s on the highway with the right gearing.My car has a 1969 340 in it now that doesnt run.I had 340 cars in the 70s and don't remember them getting very good economy.Street and Performance said they could make a harness but told me to buy the 5.7 I also thought about putting a carb on the 318 so i didn't have to use the injection system but i don't believe that would be any better.Thanks Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I don't have an answer to your main question, sorry. But, if that is a "real" 69 340, it is worth a few bucks, as well as the stock hipo exh manifolds. 69 is a real hot collector year. So you maybe can help finance your build.

The early 340s were bad on gas for one reason...they were set up for pure muscle. Hi compression, good cam, and mostly 3.91 or 3.55 gears. 73 & up were detuned and had lower gears.

I would not carb a injected motor if you are going for mpg.

Keep checking the web for wiring companies, someone may make one. Or, find a talented friend that can find the stamina to peel & ID the donor car wires in the harness...it's been done many times by guys using those computer motors as soon as they came out.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:21 PM

Last journal entry: New Attitude
Last photo:

I am in the same boat. I have a 35 plymouth pj sedan. I want the 5.7, but by the time you add all that is needed, OMG. I have two 318 magnum motors complete and am planning to rob a harness from a junker. Lack of money makes you brave!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 PM

318 Magnum install

To both of you: Mopar Performance or the new Direct connection has the complete wiring harnesses and stuff you need for either the 318-360 Magnum or the 5.7 Hemi, although pricy I'm sure. Go to your Chrysler dealer that handles MP stuff and they should get you the bulletins you need. Myron
Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

Hopefully you are getting the OD trans too. That's about 4 mpg.

I have done several Fords and Chevies and the basic wiring is simple.
You will need a schematic for the donor car to find which wire goes where.

Simply, the computer gets a constant + and - for memory
The fuel pump can be wired direct/relay or through the computer for start cycling. Don't forget the inertia switch for wrecks.
The heated oxygen sensors need relays.
No heavy loads directly through the key switch.

The 3 computer trigger circuits off the "Key" are
start
run
start and run

So really, the only things hooked to the old harness/key is the 3 power wires to tell the computer what is happening when.

Lay out the harness and see what you need and don't, and relocate components as necessary. PATIENCE

ABSOLUTELY= every spliced wire must be soldered and covered in glue filled heat shrink tubing. Or you will have a failure some time soon.

simple, take your time and you will be well rewarded.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.