Question on 350 turbo and driving in 2nd gear in town - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question on 350 turbo and driving in 2nd gear in town

Hello guys I have a question regarding my 350 turbo transmission. I have a 350 chevy in a s10 along with 4.10 gears in the rear end. I also have a 2000 stall converter on my tranny as well and on my engine spec's I have a mild performance cam that has 222/230 @ 50 duration and if I leave the tranny just in drive after it gets to drive my rpm are only about 1200 rpm at 25 mph and my motor does not lug or anything but it seems like if I leave it in drive it might want to load up over time and I don't want it too do that.

Eventually I am going to swap out my 4.10 gears to 3.42 for highway use but the rpms wont be that much different for town driving use but other then that I have to stick it in 2nd gear to drive anything under 30 mph so the rpms are decent. Will leaving it in second gear for an extended period of time really hurt anything? This transmission was built with a high performance tci rebuild kit along with a nice shift kit installed as well. Basically I put it in second gear and just leave it at that and when I get to an area where its 35 or higher rpm I put it into drive then.

Thanks for input
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 04:44 PM
More for Less Racer

Won't hurt a thing, might put a litle more wear on the planetary gears over the long haul (50,000+ miles) but short track circle track racers who can't use a rear end with deep enough gears do this all the time, race after race, run the entire race in first or second gears.

It would be wise to have a good tranny cooler as the trans will make a little more heat run in the lower gears.

Sounds like you really need to correctly tune the carb, you should have no trouble at all running around at 1200 rpm in town without it loading up, the cam isn't that big.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

Well I got my carb tuned pretty close now I just was worried that it would load up in town with it in drive since I did not have the rpm's up higher that's all. I have not had any issues yet of it loading up though. I do have a tranny cooler on the front of my radiator. Its one of the stack plate kind and its a decent size. Thanks for help appreciate it.
Eric
Old 01-31-2010, 12:31 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by the term "load up." In most cases that means a carburetor that is running too rich, but i think you are using it differently.

For the weight of your truck and the power band of the engine, it should work fine at 1200 rpm. Severe lugging is bad for the engine, but doesn't really make much difference in wear on a 3 speed automatic transmission.

My truck has stock 4.10 gearing and a stock TH350, and it runs about 2800 rpm at 60 mph. That's the factory setup, and the rpm is very close to what you are seeing on your truck. My transmission is 35 years old, and still going - and it has not been babied over the years.

Bruce
Old 01-31-2010, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

Hello yeah what I meant by loading up is the engine getting loaded up on carbon over time. I have the carburetor tuned pretty good and idle was tuned for highest vacuum but anyways. I was just wondering if running at 1200 rpm at 25 mph was too low a rpm on the engine. I don't want to lug the thing and I am barely pushing the gas pedal down and sometimes I feel like I need to shift it into 2nd gear to keep rpms up and engine happy and keep the plugs clean. I just don't want to wear out my transmission to fast I just had it rebuilt and would like to get many years out of the thing before it goes down. Just don't know if that will wear my 2nd gear out to fast or have any affect on things.
Eric
Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 AM

Last photo:

I don't think it will "load up". Its not a two stroke after all.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

well if you drive a performance type motor around town and just put all day long with a bigger then rv type cam with a littl overlap the rpms won't be up enough to keep the plugs really clean without taking it out on the highway and going fast and hard to blow it out. That is old terms I have heard my Dad who is 55 years old tell his buddys and myself over the years. Don't know what terms they use nowadays but that is what I was taught. But anyways thanks guys for input appreciated.

Eric
Old 02-01-2010, 05:51 PM

I think I understand better what you mean. In high school I lived in a small town where the speed limit was 25 mph everywhere. If you drove around that way all the time the engine spent a lot of time with the choke on, and never really got up much rpm to clean the carbon off the plugs. Of course that was also in the days of high compression and premium fuel.

What I used do was take my car out on the highway and run the rpm up every couple of days. It was fun to run through the gears, and I told myself it was good for the engine. It also led to a "driving without due care" charge one time, since a highway patrolman did not like the sound of car my car hitting redline. However, the judge saw it differently and dropped the ticket.

Bruce

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.