Hot Rod Forum banner

Question on 66 Mercury Comet steering and brake issues.......

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  xntrik 
#1 ·
I have some questions about converting from manual steering to power steering and manual drums to power disc brakes on my 66 Mercury Comet. This is what I have, the Comet has a (worn out) integral shaft manual steering box on it. The parts I want to use is a integral power steering box from a 71 Mustang. The problem is that my Comet has a integral shaft steering box. The 71 Mustang power steering box uses a rag joint attached to the steering shaft. This is what I have been thinking about doing, I take the 71 Mustang power steering box and shaft and use the 66 Mercury steering column tube. I would use the 71 Mustang steering tube but it has the ignition on the column and the Comets ignition is on the dash. I also have a set of 77 Granada spindles and disc brakes I plan on installing on my Comet. Is this Frankenstein power steering setup going to work with the 77 Granada disc brakes? I also have the complete power disc brake set up from the 71 Mustang. Would it be better to use the 71 Mustang brakes on my Comet than the Granada set up? I am just getting tired of the strong arm steering and the Fred Flintstone manual drum brakes, power steering and power disc brakes would be nice. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do about this?

#2 · (Edited)
onebadmerc said:
I have some questions about converting from manual steering to power steering and manual drums to power disc brakes on my 66 Mercury Comet. This is what I have, the Comet has a (worn out) integral shaft manual steering box on it. The parts I want to use is a integral power steering box from a 71 Mustang. The problem is that my Comet has a integral shaft steering box. The 71 Mustang power steering box uses a rag joint attached to the steering shaft. This is what I have been thinking about doing, I take the 71 Mustang power steering box and shaft and use the 66 Mercury steering column tube. I would use the 71 Mustang steering tube but it has the ignition on the column and the Comets ignition is on the dash. I also have a set of 77 Granada spindles and disc brakes I plan on installing on my Comet. Is this Frankenstein power steering setup going to work with the 77 Granada disc brakes? I also have the complete power disc brake set up from the 71 Mustang. Would it be better to use the 71 Mustang brakes on my Comet than the Granada set up? I am just getting tired of the strong arm steering and the Fred Flintstone manual drum brakes, power steering and power disc brakes would be nice. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do about this?
Mustang Saginaw box is adaptable. :thumbup: Watch the pitman arm and idler arm lengths. They need to match. I wouldn't change the column unless you just want to.

I use the complete Granada front brake set up, power MC, combination valve, a bolt on. I think there is a slight difference in the inner tie rod end tapered pin, but reamers are available from Speedway in Lincoln, NE, or you can carefully ream it with a die grinder to use Granada tie rod ends. Some people use a tie rod sleeve that adapts to each tie rod end.

Use the Granada 15/16" anti-roll bar also. I see Fatman makes a 2" dropped Granada spindle.

Your geometry is unchanged. I would not suggest adding a lot of positive caster as people are prone to do. The bump steer might be excessive.

Poly bushings front and in the rear springs, bigger anti-roll bar, H or V rated tires makes it handle like a modern suspension.

#3 ·
The front end was rebuilt back in 2002, I added a PST heavy duty 1" or maybe a 1 1/16' front end sway bar, I don't quite remember its size. You said to not change out the column, so should I just use the 71 Mustang steering box with the steering shaft and the 66 Mercury steering column? The 66 Mercury steering box has the steering shaft go all the way into the box, no rag joint like the 71 Mustang steering shaft. I also bought the outer tie rod ends for a Granada disc brake conversion, but it was for a manual steering conversion, not a power steering conversion. Do you think these tie rod ends will work or will I still need to ream the holes in the spindles? When I had the Granada, I took every part for the front brakes, the service loop with the combo valve and the power booster/MC. I even took the center drag link with both inner and outer tie rod ends. Another problem I see with the Granada booster/MC is that the bolts mount from inside the car and on my 66 Merc Comet the bolts mounts the MC from the engine compartment. The only way I could possibly mount the booster is to drill out the threads on the nuts that are welded to the foot pedal assembly and run the MC/Booster mounting bolts from the inside of the car. Or should I just pull the booster off and just use the Granada MC? This thing is a head ache to me, I just wish I had more time to do this, I might have to drive this car to school for awhile since my 02 Ranger needs work done to it. My 66 Merc is drivable but I really don't want to drive 35-40 miles to Pueblo with manual drum brakes and a worn out manual steering box. What makes even worse is that it has a V8 a 4 speed manual trans with rear wheel drive and it a very snowy winter for Colorado. The really down side to this is is that I start school next Monday and still don't have my 460 installed in my work truck. This makes all of my running vehicles down for the count except for my 66 Comet.

#4 ·
I am not really sure how to respond without sounding like a "butt". So please bear with me. :welcome:

You said..... "This thing is a head ache to me, I just wish I had more time to do this, ....." Maybe you are putting too much time pressure on yourself or pushing beyond your mechanical abilities. But you can learn if you will be patient.

I understand that many of today's hot rodders want a pure bolt-on kit for everything they do, and many are willing to pay whatever price it takes to get it. But kits are not available for every situation since many of us are not doing belly button cars. Hot rodding has always been a hobby of "improvise, adapt, overcome".

First I suggest you re-read what I wrote,,,, carefully.

How did you conclude that Granada tie rod ends will not fit Granada spindles?
Adapting the Granada inner tie rod ends to the Comet center link might require reaming. If you choose to adapt the Granada center link, that in iteself might require some creative work.

As you pointed out, some of the solutions are simple. The booster is not that big of a deal.

IF you choose to install another column shaft, Is it the correct length? You might need to do some improvising. Not only the mechancial hookup but also the wiring. The choice is up to you and how you see your abilities to get it done. The street rod industry has parts for adapting shafts to boxes. You might even buy a custom column. Check out Street Rodder Magazine. Also note that the 62-65 Fairlane columns have a rag joint. You might also look at the Granada which is just a 66 Fairlane with 6 inches less wheelbase.

You seem to doubt your ability to drive in adverse weather. Driving a worn out rear wheel drive vehicle in adverse weather with limited driving skill is an obvious no-no. So again you have answered your own question.

You said..... "This thing is a head ache to me, I just wish I had more time to do this....." AMEN :thumbup:

#5 ·
The Mercury is not worn out, just the steering box. As for my driving abilities, they are just fine. I never said I had limited driving abilities, I just don't like driving rear wheel drive cars on ice and snow. I grew up driving on ice and snow in Wyoming with V8 powered rear wheel drive vehicles, been there done that. Another reason I don't want to drive my 66 Comet on ice and snow, is because I don't want it to get anymore rust on it. I also never said my mechanical abilities are limited, I posted this because I wasn't certain if this home brew could work. As for time, it is limited, if you ever have taken 300 and 400 level college classes you would understand how precious time is, let alone work a full time job.

As for the Granada tie rod ends not working, Mustangs Plus told me they would work fine if it was a manual steering car. I never said I wanted to use the Granada center link, I said I pulled it from the Granada and still have it.

My girlfriend keeps telling me that I keep trying to do too many things at once, maybe she is right.

#6 · (Edited)
:welcome: Been there done that. Trouble is, I don't remember much of what happened since I was in a state of sleep deprivation all the time....LOL :thumbup:

Don't let some idiot slide into your 66. Leave it home.

Nothing of what you are proposing is any big deal. Just a little creativity at the right time, like getting the booster on using a drill...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.