Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question About A 350 Roller Setup
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 04:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Better late than never.

Yes the LS guides do work on the GenI Roller & Non-Roller blocks.
Using these with the Spider of course, eliminates hours of grinding/clearancing the Block and Dogbones on Non-Roller blocks which can lead to hitting a water jacket if you're not careful. It still requires some cosmetic cleanup grinding in that area tho'.
I did many Blocks the old way = Grinding untill I ran across the Composite GenIII Guides. They were pricey when they 1st came out, they're cheap now. Ahhh! Supply & Demand.

Crane Cams etc.. make OEM style Roller Lifters with extended travel for Cams with more than .354" Lobe Lift. They're expensive tho'. May as well go Retro.

If using an OEM style Roller Cam in a Non-Roller block you can use a moddified Cam Button for fore thrust/clearance and cut the mounting ears off the Cam Retainer Plate so it's used as a spacer for aft thrust/clearance or use the rear Cam Plug. I also machined Four 1/16" deep oil slots 90* apart on the side between the Cam & Retainer for lube.

The last Non-Roller Block I worked, I installed Studs/Nuts w/Loctite to mount the Cam Retainer Plate which negates the need for a Cam Button

There're also several methods for securing the Spider, Studs/Nuts, Springs from a Lifter Valley Baffle etc..

As most of the Retro Roller parts continue to get cheaper it's getting easier to just go with them.