Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question About A 350 Roller Setup
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevroletSS View Post
Every retro part Ive seen is very expensive. Im trying to plan ahead on this build as I havent got my block back yet and go ahead with standard roller parts. Do you all think this is a good parts list to start with. My goal for HP and TQ is about 375 to 425.

Chevrolet Performance 10185071 Chevrolet Performance Hydraulic Roller Camshafts

Chevrolet Performance Hydraulic Roller Lifters 12371042 - SummitRacing.com

Scorpion Race Series Rocker Arms SCP1000BL - SummitRacing.com

Cloyes Original True Roller Timing Sets 9-3157X1 - SummitRacing.com

Edelbrock 7516 Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Manifold

Holley 0-3310SA Holley 750 cfm 4-bbl Carburetor with Manual Choke

Proform 66945RC Proform HEI Distributor Tune-Up Kit

Vortec Valve Springs Kit 550 High Lift Hyd Flat Tappet | eBay

Hedman 68166 Hedman HTC Hi-Tech Coated Headers

Dynomax 89004 Dynomax Header and Manifold Dual Kits
The timing set must say it is for a factory roller cam, the gear configuration is different from retro-rollers and flat tappet cam blocks. The factory roller timing set has the gears reconfigured to fit the bolt-in thrust plate. Which also changes the chain, so you need the timing set of matched parts.

The OEM part for the roller cam comes in two versions one for pre 1996 (not L31 Vortec) roller cammed engines and another for the 1996 and up L31 Vortec with the plastic timing cover. All of these are usually a single row roller, there are double row roller sets, expect to have clearance problems with the timing cover from these, adding a gasket or two will usually solve this. It is best not to use a double row chain with the L31 Vortec as the timing cover often needs to be spaced forward for clearance as with the pre 96engine, but the 96 and up Vortec uses a crank position sensor in the cover which will acquire a dimensional miss-match that often affects the computer if you use the OEM fuel injection.

For examples I include these, not nearly all inclusive of what's availabe. If it doesn't say compatible with the factory roller block and cam; assume it isn't!

Summit Racing® True Roller Timing Sets SUM-G6601 - SummitRacing.com

Chevrolet Performance Timing Chain Sets 12371043 - SummitRacing.com

Bogie