Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question about block Stamping

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  JJLT1 
#1 ·
I just got a new project . The engine is stamped V04 16UPB . I've searched the internet and have come up with nothing , except it is a V-Flint built block . Could anyone help I.D. this block . I cannot see the casting # .

Thanks

#2 ·
I just got a new project . The engine is stamped V04 16UPB . I've searched the internet and have come up with nothing , except it is a V-Flint built block . Could anyone help I.D. this block . I cannot see the casting # . Thanks
No UPB found in the suffix list. Suggest thorough cleaning with a brass bristle toothbrush/Dawn dishwash liquid and look again with a good magnifying glass.
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0601702

And the reason you cannot see the block casting number is...........??????????

#4 ·
Block Stamping

Thanks you guys , it is definitely a small block chevy , produced in Flint , Michigan . It is in a 1955 chevy wagon . It is very close to the firewall . I've removed the battery box but cannot get my hand to the casting number area . I want to get it up on my kwick- lift and hopefully use mirrors to see the casting #'s. I'll re-clean the pad and take another look .
Once again , thanks guys

#7 ·
block info

I feel like an idiot , the battery and box was removed . I should have remembered the casting # is on dr. side . I still cannot see it , even with a mirror . DIRT , wires , booster . I'll be able to clean it when I get it up in the air. Thanks again !

#8 · (Edited)
The pics you are showing are at the front of the block, right out in the open......suffix numbers which should tell you what it is,

Just looking at the pics and seeing that little plug above the water pump tells me its likely a 265 or 283.....that is where I have seen that plug often.....350s dont have that plug usually

#12 ·
Question about the block stamping

I've cleaned with thinner and took pictures , although not very good . I'm standing by my original post . I look with reading glasses and optivisors ,
the stamping is , VO4 16UPB . I have not seen this UPB listed anywhere .
It looks like a good square stamping , not hit on an angle .I've stamped tool and die parts for over 40 years .This is the stamping . V - Flint Built
Thanks to all who replied .

Have a nice weekend !

#15 ·
Block identification

I've looked hard to see if it is a bad stamping . Looks to me that it was hit square , It is in a 55 Chevy wagon I just had delivered Wednesday . I'm checking everything out . Fixing thing one at a time . As soon as I get it running right , I think vacuum leaks as it won't idle worth a crap , but smooths out at 2000-2500 RPM's . I'll get it up on lift and have better access to the top of the block .I hope it is a 350 as advertised . Not like the 750 holley that was advertised but is really a quadrajet . I guess this happens when you put too much faith in your fellow man . Oh , and the paint that was 9.5 to the seller is maybe a 5 or 6 to me . Never again .

Thanks to all !

#16 ·
Question about block stamping

OK Guys , this is what I think has happened . After many times under and over the block , which is too close to the firewall , I've located the casting # .All that is there is the #3 . I think someone has removed the #'s for cheating at the dragstrip . Thanks ! Also , I've cleaned and scraped , that is it . I'll remove valve cover at later date . I know that won't mean anything , as it is too easy to change the heads . I think I'll just use engine for what it is till I have to tear it down .

#17 · (Edited)
my hollander interchange lists that PB 8-283 4BC Chevy II 65

V0416

Flint, O4 month.. april 16..

what is the casting number off the back of the block above the transmission mounting flange..

look also for a 4 digit code back there also .. the julian date..

with a april 16 casting. perhaps 65

you are going to find a julian date like D115 or D125

D would be April for the 4th month.. the 5 would be the last year of the decade.. 1965.. 1975.. 1985.. with the casting number.. those usually don't last more than 10 years of production.. except perhaps the 010 blocks.

most of the blocks i have cross dated online usually only sit a day or two before final assembly.

283 engines might be any of these casting number

Block #: 3556519, 3731548, 3736935, 3737739, 3737789, 3756519, 3756935, 3788935, 3789187,
3789817, 3789935, 3790721, 3794226, 3832338, 3834810, 3834812, 3837739, 3849852, 3849859,
3849935, 3862184, 3862194, 3864812, 3896944, 3896948, 3903352, 3932338, 393288, 3949852,
3955977, 3959532, 810, 840

if that is an different casting number it might be an ACTUAL 350 from 1986... there is a UPB stamping from then..

so post casting number and the julian date.. if you can..

UPB these will be 4 bolt main 350 main size journal blocks. a PB would be a small journal block. if you could see the back of the crank.. where the flywheel is bolted on... small journal cranks have a ROUND flange.. sometimes with a notch out.. large journal blocks in 86 should be a 1 piece seal block.. no flange.. just sticking straight thru the rear main seal adapter plate.. oh.. yea.. you should be able to see that fairly easily up from the bottom. huge hint.. those series of trucks with manual tranmissions.. and some with automatic came equipped with a FORGED STEEL one piece rear main seal crank.. instead of the cast 1 piece rear main seal crank..

8-350 (5.7L) 4BC (VIN M, OPT LT9) Chev Tr. ‘86 ser. 20 & 30 GMC Tr. ‘86 ser. 2500 & 3500

8-350 (5.7L) E.F.I. (VIN K, OPT LO5) Chev Van ‘90 ser. 10 thru UPL 30 GMC Van ‘90 ser. 1500 thru 3500

in looking at the close up... can you post the smaller row of numbers.. on the stamping pad.. that is the partial vin number.. i cannot read it..

with that info.. i might be able to clarify what it came in..

#18 ·
Question about block stamping

I,ve fixed the vacuum leaks , it is running much better . I've e-mailed the owner of the guy who owned the car B4 the guy I purchased it from . He says he can't remember anything , previous owners or anything about the car . I almost believe these two guys are in cahoots . I'm just frustrated that I took a man at his word . Thanks

#21 ·
Questions about block Stamping

You are right , it is probably an 86 . It has the Pass. side oil level stem and it also , according to internet pictures , a factory , not an after market , rear main 1 piece seal . The valve cover bolts are NOT in the center of cover ,4 on the sides , just like all the older S.B. Chevys .I've been doing this a long time , but seems like everything is working against me identifying the engine . I've only done 2 complete engine builds , many cam changes . The internet is so helpful . Most everything is out there , codes , stamping and cast .
Thanks to all ,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.