Question about changes i made on my holly carbs??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2004, 10:23 PM

Last journal entry: nova
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question about changes i made on my holly carbs???

on my 350sb, i have 2-450cfm mec sec carbs.. i just changed my jets from #60 to #58 and i had 5.5 power valves and i went to 3.5 .... reason why i changed the jets was i had a small puff of black smoke when i hit the gas,and my mixture screws was out about two turns out,.so i knew it was a little rich.., I changed the power valves because someone suggested i should because they always ran 3.5.. so i did... i havent drove my car much because of health problems,but now it has more black smoke when i hit the gas... the car runs good,but im wondering if i should put the 5.5 valves back in. my vacuum is between 9-10 pds in gear. i smell more gas now. im thinking the power valves might be dumpping more gas in then needed...before i changed anything,the car ran great,but had a small puff of black smoke. what do ya'll think???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2004, 07:46 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Going to a lower number power valve should have leaned it at part throttle conditions or at any time the engine is above 3.5 inches of vacuum. I`ve always set my carb up to what power valve was suggested by the book for my vacuum reading. So if it`s still rich even with the lower number valve then I`d say the problem lies elsewhere, maybe going to a 1 step leaner fuel squirters would solve the problem or going 1 step leaner on the jet sizes. We played with dual quads once, and after all the hassle they required of tuning, we went back to a single carb set up and life got a lot simpler.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:55 AM

Last journal entry: nova
Last photo:

You might be right, but its more richer now then before i missed with it.. I drove it for about 2 months before i ever missed with it,and i noticed a small puff of black smoke,thats why i missed with it. maybe one of the power valves i put in might be missed up and dumping to much fuel in, i dont know,but i know its worse now then before , im going to go back with the 5.5 ..the squritters i have in are #31 thats what came on the carbs.. i have played with them to before,and the #31 seems to work best..
Old 07-03-2004, 10:49 PM

Hey i would try a 6.5 power valve.Every thing ive read on the holley suggest going 2 or 2.5 lower than your vacum reading.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.