Hot Rod Forum banner

Question about dying seats.

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Max Keith 
#1 ·
im getting my seats re-wrapped soon and im planning on coloring them using the dupont vinyl color spray. should i spray the faux leather before or after they are stitched up? im thinking afterwords but will the color stay in the thread or will it wash out? if it stays will it look as if it is stuck there and look bad? what do u guys think?

#3 ·
dying seats

If you are having your seats reupholstered, why not do them in the color you want rather than dying them afterwards. Having done uphostery off and on for the last 21 yrs, I dont understand doing that.
One thing about dye on vinyl, it wont last forever, it does rub off eventually.
And quite often, dying fabrics doesnt make them come out the desired color.
And when you sew the fabric, use thread that matches as well.
Just points to ponder.

Also kind of curious, if you are having these seats redone by a shop or yourself.

#5 · (Edited)
Painting Porsche seats??

Are you doing the Porsche that is in your Journal? If you are using the stock seats there are alot of aftermarket covers out there that will get you red seats at a price less than most trim shops. Porsche uses clips like the older Corvette and most home guys can install them with little hassel. If you can redo a Porsche you than I would think you could probably buy a set of repop seat covers in the color you want and install them fairly inexpensively. If this is the case let us know and I will give you a few suppliers depending on the budget you are considering.

As for vinyl painting first before it goes to the upholsterer, I personally would never accept this type of thing from a customer. Not that I wouldnt want them to have the exact color they want. But the risk potential of a customer giving me a material that was not dyed correctly and the potential of me scratching it during cutting sewing or building or some other oddity that I could touch up or replace the material on my own would shy me away from this kind of thing.

#7 ·
Nah, theyre not stock porsche seats.. right now i have sparco's for it.. two places near me want 600 a seat.. they say they are alot more work then stock seats? i dont know i do autobody work i really am clueless about upholstery.
this is the seats i have now.

#8 · (Edited)
recovering seats

Those seats look like they have removable covers for cleaning purposes, and it looks like a $175 a piece job to me, or $350, which ever came first.
Were I in your shoes. I would find a number or web site for the company that makes the seat and see if they have covers in the color you are looking for, then if they are too pricey, go to alternatives.
As for $600 a seat? Sounds like someone is trying to hose you big time.
As the other gentleman stated, I wouldnt do any work on a seat with vinyl or any other fabric that had been home dyed for the same reasons he stated, nor would I guarentee any of my work after someone had dyed it. Some of those dyes are harmful to the fabric and can cause accelerated breakdown.

#9 ·
Max Keith said:
Those seats look like they have removable covers for cleaning purposes, and it looks like a $175 a piece job to me, or $350, which ever came first.
Were I in your shoes. I would find a number or web site for the company that makes the seat and see if they have covers in the color you are looking for, then if they are too pricey, go to alternatives.
Yea, i could take the covers off in 5 minutes easily.. sparco doesnt make a red leather/ vinyl cover so they have to be custom.. i was gonna buy another seat that comes in vinyl and thats what i was gonna dye but if its not to costly to get this done in red vinyl with black inserts then i would just go that route.

#10 · (Edited)
Somebody is full of #$%^&*(

Go to the shop laugh out loud and walk out. Holy crap I am in the wrong town. 600 bucks a seat!!! What kind of shop is that, do they have a gold toilet and a SPA? Go to ebay SPARCO seats are Mexican junk anyway Let me tell you no recliners youll pick em up for 300 a pair at the most. Local boom shops are preying on you kids geez. For the remaining 900 bucks you put 500 bucks in your pocket and the rest take the cover and find a real trim shop. Most using the take off covers you are suppling and make you a seat cover out of all leather. Those damn things are nothing to copy the pattern sew it up and give it back to you!! Do alittle foot work a good trim shop with a new seat can give you what you want for you should be able to get high quality vinyl for 400 to 500 for the pair. Where are you at??

#11 · (Edited)
redoing seat covers

Lets not get a bidding war going here HEMI! LOL

Seriously, I have samples of vinyls in just about any shade and color a person can imagine, and I imagine HEMI does as well. And automotive fabrics to match the vinyl.
One other thing about those seats. Youre probably getting that $600 per price tag cuz you want them for a Porche.
Actually, those look just like racing seats that Summit sells for $72 each, with your choice of color. Only they dont have a name brand stitched across the back like that, and since they are used in racing, at least I imagine they are covered with flame resistant vinyl.

#12 ·
creativeinteriors said:
Go to the shop laugh out loud and walk out. Holy crap I am in the wrong town. 600 bucks a seat!!! What kind of shop is that, do they have a gold toilet and a SPA? 1200 bucks to take covers off you are suppling and make you a seat. Those damn things are nothing to copy the pattern sew it up and give it back to you!! Where are you at?? You were going to supply the material too??!!!!!. Ill tell you what you can ship them to me and Ill wrap the things in any color red leather you want for 1200 bucks. and you probably give you some change out of pitty. You wont have to do anything. Im packing up and moving......lol

HAHHAHAHAH, well that was with me just giving them the seats and them going from there.. i know its way to much especially since i got a quote once to do the front and rear seats and door panel inserts for my otehr car with ultra leather and ultra suede inserts for 1400 ahhaha.. i know its way to much.. if eitehr of you are interested give me a shout on email and ill go further into detail.. beemdubya@aol.com thanks

#14 ·
Do you really get what you pay for?

The old adage is you get what you pay for, and with that price, you are paying for a royal S******g. Some how I dont think that guy is going to be in business long, unless there are one heck of a bunch of suckers in NJ. But then it costs almost $20 to get across from Staten Island on the bridges to Brooklyn and Back. Next question is, who the heck would want to go to a rathole like NYC, anyway?

#15 ·
Now Mr Keith, I was just trying to add some levity.

To the range of quality here here. But remember that the idiocy of some people 1200 for a pair of ready made patterns on over priced seat (no recliners or tracks even!!) from a Boom Shop or a ridiculously low quote of seats and panels with materials for 1400.

This is the reason we preach to the Trim disadvantaged to research RESEARCH as the range is dramatic in price and quality. Ask around to fellow enthusiasts find guys who have nice interiors, NETWORK. I help Car Clubs members and very specific referrals, I try to give a good guy a good deal within reason (alot of guys run out of cash after chrome and "Krylon") and will tell you truthfully the difference between the cost of a Show car and driver cost. As any business man I do my best to give you what you want. But will be clear on the onset what you will get has alot to do with what you pay for or what we can barter for work in return on my ride.

Max, I am sure you will agree we see soooo many good guys pay for a 8000 paint job and turn around and put a 1400 interior in it or do it themselves. In the end only they can decide if they are treated fairly or feel S******.

The way I see it is that if the guy Beemdubya was paying our material costs or at least mine. He is easily looking at materials that would be around 700 with Ultra Vinyl, Ultra Suede, oilboard, carpet, glue, plus pad and such. And the amount of funding left over for labour and overhead is about 700 bucks at that rate and the real hours it would take if he doesn't already have the patterns. Happily I have them but lets imagine he doesn't and the covers are original direction but not first time cover patterns to say the least and it be done right is about 100 to 150 hours (I have done many Porsche's 56 Thur 2005 356, 911, 930's and we are just talking doors and seat if I remember correctly) its about 6 to 7 bucks an hour for all that fun (remember trim is fun! At least I still get a kick out of it!!!!) he may not do this for the fun like me.

That said that guy cant afford to eat in NYC where a dog is $6 bucks on the street, and the average R&B is 800 a month for a S***hole. Soooo if he does even an average job he is still starving. So as you said he either is Crazy, Stinks or is starving. Oh Wait A Minute, just a thought he could have SOOOO much work he is making it up on volume. Oh man I almost wrote that with a straight face.... lol

Beemdubya, take my advise pound the car shows ask guys with nice inners for trim shops that made the good interiors. Also don't make a scene and even ask the owners where they got the bad ones (but don't let them know why your asking on the bad, you may get a sore face and like momma said its not nice and mean spirited) and find out what both had as funds and expectations. As always Research Research

Take it easy guys!!

#16 ·
I got the quote for the front and rear seats and panels from the same place i got the quote for these seats.. they do really nice work but i mean there is nothing to these seats i have now. maybe someone has heard of them.. al's custom uphoilstery in mount holly NJ.

#17 ·
Keeping me in stitches

creative interiors, I do happen to agree with you. I do automotive seats, on occasion, but they have been generally OEM style redos. My main stock in trade is motorcycle seats of which I do custom stitching.
I know what you mean about the $8000 paint job and $1200 interior. What I find amazing is how many guys will spend that kind of money on a car, then want someone of the likes of you or me, doing a complete interior job for cost of materials.
Me, I try to give my client a fair price and a fair deal on the job, and since I am retired, I dont require the highest of labor charges. (But if I could get $1200 for redoing a set of fiberglass racing bucket seats, maybe I should up my labor rate).
I do enjoy doing upholstery, but its also a lively hood even if it isnt a high paying one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.