Question about fiberglass armrest mounting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 07:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question about fiberglass armrest mounting

Hello,
I'm trying my best to follow Dan's advice on building my own door panels for my truck and have got to the point of mounting the armrests. I bought the fiberglass ones that all the hotrod places sell:

I had no trouble matching the insert nuts to holes in the door panels and mounting them but this isn't enough support I wouldn't think. The first person that tries to close the door by pulling on the armrest is just going to pull the panel away from the door. I thought the armrests I saw had an L-bracket that mounted to the inner door and went through the panel?

I guess it would be possible to drill the holes in the panel all the way through the door but i'm not sure how I'd rotate the screw when the panel is on. I'm not sure I'm describing what I'm trying to say but I want to know if there is a trick to mount the armrest to the actual door instead of just the panel.

Thanks,
Jeff

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The best way would be to drill holes straight through the armrest and screw the armrest right to the door through the door panel. That would leave you two or three screw holes. Then you would have to come up with a way to cover the screw holes. You could cut a groove in the armrest where you put the screws and fill it with any number of things to make it look good after the armrest was in place.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

The guys that did my interior mounted the same kind of arm rest to my door panels using the same screws, but added an "L" bracket that mounted to the door, with one leg extending through the door panel and into a slot in the arm rest. They then drilled a hole for a screw into the leg of the bracket at the bottom of the fingerwell on the arm rest. Hope that made sense.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 AM

Use the little plastic push pins like the late model cars use to hold the door panels around the perimeter of the armrest, but under the arm rest. You will drill a hole in your inner door to align with these push pins. These will hold the middle of the door panel when you pull on the arm rest to shut the door. That way it is not major surgery when you remove your interior door panel.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

H'mmm mine have screws right through the arm rests into the door structure but they are on the bottom of the arm rests where one has to get on his hands and knees to see them..

Sam
Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

yep......... I was thinking like 46streetrod........ look at the post of the 32 ford interior I did, used the same armrest and I used push pins like 46streetrod spoke of......trace around your armrest and remove it from your door panel, then prefit it to your door and see where you can drill and add pins all around the armrest....... be sure to put all your pins in the door panel before covering it with your upholstery.......

another trick is when prefitting door panels is to drill a couple of small holes through the panel into the door and put screws through them into the door its self, this way you can take it off and on as many times as you need to by removing the screws and when you put it back on, its always back in the same place each time

added the pic of the door panel I did for you to see............. now, no doubt that screws will be the strongest, this is just another option......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door panel.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	72566   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	72567  

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.