Hot Rod Forum banner

Question about foam board

6K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  38 old coupe 
#1 ·
Hello I went to hobbie loby and saw some foam board.
I was wondering if it was the same type of foam board that you use in door panels and forming for other panels and consoles ?

Thank you it feels like slick plastic on either side of the foam is 1/8" or so

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
From my experience buying foam board at an art supply store, it is probably foam poster board. Not the PVC foam board used by upholsterers. Take a close look and see if there is paper on both sides with a foam core. If you have a piece, try bending it and see if it kinks (paper).

#3 ·
I went to tap plastics today and looked at their pvc foam board it was 39.75 for a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" and it felt like it was solid plastic .
It felt very strong not sure how anyone would sew to this one from tap plastics ?
Thank you kelly

Thank you I will have to try tomorrow and see

#6 ·
Thank you aman31 the sample piece felt solid I will see how it is before I buy it to make sure it's not solid .
Are you making your own headliner also ?
I have all the wires and all but I'm thanking of making a solid one I see people make them out of chip board not sure if they use pvc foam board to make them

#8 ·
I have the rods also but I thank the solid head liner looks better I've seen it made of chip board also . Does any one know where I can get chip board locally? thank you kelly

Also aman31 I also need to do something similar to your kick panels I put my wire harness in the drivers side and my spw wiper set up in the passenger side so I have to make the step in it to clear

#11 ·
Thank you aman31 that's a great idea for a pattern I will try that I also put in jump seats out of a ford ranger that sits sideways and I have to form panels so when the seats are closed they will be In the panels

Ron 55 thank you so any upholstery shop should carry it or can get it thanks again

#14 ·
yes any upholstery shop should be able to order the board. Just have to make sure to get the one for automotive. There are several kinds used in the upholstery business. Most are thin for furniture use, the automotive one is thicker(1/8 inch).
There is no "automotive grade" of PVC foamboard, nor are there several other kinds, and it is not used in furniture at all because it is a lot more expensive than other products that can do the same job. There are different thicknesses, but most of it is either 3MM (about 1/8") thick or 6MM (about 1/4") thick.

Reactions: 38 old coupe
#15 ·
Thank you Dan I haven't had a chance to look and see if it was solid or hollow yet but from what I remember it was solid.
Thanks again
I found it at tap plastics I looked at the sample from them it was really hard for the pvc foam board.
I've read other people that have bought it from them so I'm assuming it the right stuff they have it in a 4x8 X1/8 sheet

#17 ·
Ok thanks again Dan the first piece as from hobby lobby I will use as a patern piece and will use the other one for keeps.
Dan I have another question in one of your posts you said to use 1/8 waterproof board behind the pvc foam board is that the normal or can the pcv foam be used by it self

#18 ·
I'm not sure why I would have said to use waterproof panel board under PVC foamboard. All you need is the PVC to make your panels. You have to be careful not to glue your padding right over the areas that will have holes for panel clips, so that it is easier to install the clips, and so that the clips don't telegraph though to the outside.

Reactions: 38 old coupe
#22 ·
Something I found a long time ago that works great for headliners and door panels is using sign board ie Corrugated Plastic Sheets. It is light weight and cloth sticks to it very well making for a clean final product. It cuts, easily, bends easily, and can be molded or glued together to form any shape for custom applications.
You can stick cloth on one side and sound insulation on the other without having ripples in the cloth. It takes poking and prodding fingers or the occasional head bump with ease. The stuff is very cheap new in large sheets or free if your willing to melt a few together.

#23 ·
I give up. If you want to use a product used to make signs, by all means do so, but don't recommend an inferior product to people looking for the best products to do their interiors with. You'd have to screw on any panels made of corrugated plastic, because they wouldn't survive being installed with panel clips and being removed. How about posting some pictures of panels made this way?

#25 ·
i found it at signmart. thanks. it's too stiff really for what i wanted it for originally:a dash pad. but yes i did pick up some 1/4" also, i think that is the perfect stuff for the kick panels, and even a package tray would be great out of that stuff. i have several signs out of corrugated stuff, and the wind bent them in half, they would not hold up from a good kick and they stay bent, as in broken. you would have to be too careful widdit for me. i will be using the stiff stuff: the 1/8" stuff i could cut with big scissors, to fill in the gaps between the ridges of my 62 buick's dash pad frame, whatever you callit. that's how the upholstery shop told me to do it. they said they would charge me about $1500 to do it right (like that). JustDashes quoted me $850 for a vacuum formed brand new one. oooiiiieeee!
oh btw, i think i might use that foam underlayment stuff for wood laminate floors, for my dash pad over the top of the pvc sheeting. it seems perfect for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.