Question about imperfections in paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Spanky`s Fix It Shop

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question about imperfections in paint

Just finished painting my dash with DBC basecoat. No sags or runs but do have two little pieces of something. One might be small black nat the other looks like small dust particle. What should I do before clearing ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2006, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

After about maybe an hour or so, sand em flat with 1000 or 1500 wet and squirt a little more base on those spots.If it is just a small dust particle, I will likely get buried by the clear. The black nat, you might see under close inspections, probably different color then your base is.

Last edited by kenseth17; 08-11-2006 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Added wait to sand.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Spanky`s Fix It Shop

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll leave the dust particle, its pretty small and try to sand the nat. Don't have anything smaller than 600, I'll get some 1500 in the morning. I think I have up to 24 hrs before must clear. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:27 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

It's ok to sand out problems out of the base as you go..., 600 would work fine,just knock the bugs and dirt flat then dust in some more color and lay on clear... that's the best part about base coat/clearcoat is fixing as you go...with DBC let it sit 15 minutes then sand problems no problem,,,it's an everyday thing..
Old 08-12-2006, 01:14 AM

Last photo:

Sorry didn't see this sooner. Yeah milo is right, 600 will be fine. Just figured 1000 would sand out the knat with little problems and easily cover by squirting on one more light coat of base on the area. If your in the window for base, even going over a fine grit you will have adhesion. 600 is around the area of what most base makers recommend for sanding prior to paint, so you could cover the 600 scratch without too much effort. I personally like to let the base sit longer to be on the safe side. Being your dbc probably isn't activated, and depending on the conditions and how it was sprayed, it is possible that after 15 minutes it wont be long enough where its not gummy and sands easily without it smearing and marking if you are not carefull, or whatever I am trying to say.

Last edited by kenseth17; 08-12-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Spanky`s Fix It Shop

Last photo:

Got the nat taken care of and gained some knowledge to. Thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Ya, what they said!

Be sure the base is dry. If it is very thick it will take longer to dry for sanding. Yes it is an everyday thing. Thicker coat = longer flash time.This is a good reason not to spray base on too wet(thick). With some base coat systems, when you sand the base too soon it will roll and tare. That opens another can of worms. Also, always put more color over the sanded areas. Just blend it out, you don't have to spray the entire panel over. Clearing over sanded base would be a mistake. The scratches always show under the clear. I realize you've solved your problem and moved on just thought I would speak up anyway.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:22 PM

thanks guys i do believe you answered mine to. i just sprayed a red fire metallic on a 2002 alero and i have dust particles on the trunk and a few other areas all should need to do if im correct is wait until its completely dry as not to roll or tear the paint and reshoot the spots and clear hope im right. ive painted 25 years but was out of it for 12yrs. So bc/cc is new to me but seems like a painters dream. thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 03:28 PM

Also I believe your wetsanding correct? thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Yes, wet sand gently
Old 08-30-2006, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

wetsanding works better on fresh base. Don't rush things, allow to dry awhile before sanding. Some of the cheaper lines take a long time to dry where you can sand with out marking up. That dbc base seems to be able to be sanded for repair pretty quick, but I still usually wait about an hour. You have the luxury of time working at home, and window on base is generally pretty long before you have to worry about getting another coat on it. Dbc is 24 hrs I believe. If you do sand the base to repair, you must spray more base on that area. If you don't with metallics you will see where its been sanded when cleared. Spray more with solids to, or you risk adhesion problems. You will have to ask chemists for a clear answer why, but this is what I read, so take it for what its worth There is wax put into base for metallic control and possibly something with curing of the resin, wasn't real clear on this. Some resin floats to the top and gives the adhesion with the clear. Sanding the base removes the resin exposing the wax, which means poor adhesion. The wax is part of the binders on the mixing bank, so its not only in metallics. This could be totally wrong. Manufacturers never really give a reason not to do it, but as far as I've seen, everyone recommends spraying more base when its been sanded. Would like to here some chemists clarify why base can not be sanded without spraying more coats, other then metallic being affected.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.