Question about "lead free" solders - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Question about "lead free" solders

I'm changing the direction of my inlet on my 48 plymouth radiator...after making the new brass tube and soldering it on I noticed the new lead free solder isn't melting in with the old stuff....Am I doing something wrong? soldering (sweating) all the new brass together ,went very well but when I went to put the new brass to the tank the old lead seams to be running away from the lead free.I couldn't find the old lead solder anywhere.I cleaned and fluxed the heck out of it,I'm thinking of using my panel weld adhesive but that takes a while to cure before running the motor,(24 hrs) ....any suggestions????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

solders

Different types of solders use different alloys and different percentages of those alloys for different purposes. They melt at different temperatures/ Body solder will go mushy at the working temperature so you can spread it with the wood paddle, Different cored solders use different fluxes. Acid core , rosin core, etc. I was in the hardware store the other day and they had 5 or six different types of solder on the shelf. Lead free was designed to be used for culinary water to prevent lead contamination from the soldered joints in copper-brass pipe and fittings .. Hot water with certain natural contaminates would disolve the lead and it ended up in the drinking and cooking water. The first lead free solders were difficult to use for soldering copper pipe and it was difficult to remove a soldered fitting. They took a lot more heat than the old solder. . The newer stuff workes pretty good for plumbing.

Last edited by timothale; 02-08-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

moving this to HR Basics

Budget RVs
Old 02-08-2010, 01:51 PM

The problem I'm having is the lead solder on the tank isn't blending with this new lead free solder the lead free worked great soldering all the new brass together but where it joined with the old it doesnt want to melt together,I guess I'll just have to find the old style lead solder to join the new to the old.They must still make it,I just couldnt find it anywhere. I even tried radio shack for electrical solder,no luck Thanks Ponch I wasn't sure where to put this one...
Old 02-08-2010, 05:29 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I'm changing the direction of my inlet on my 48 plymouth radiator...after making the new brass tube and soldering it on I noticed the new lead free solder isn't melting in with the old stuff....Am I doing something wrong? soldering (sweating) all the new brass together ,went very well but when I went to put the new brass to the tank the old lead seams to be running away from the lead free.I couldn't find the old lead solder anywhere.I cleaned and fluxed the heck out of it,I'm thinking of using my panel weld adhesive but that takes a while to cure before running the motor,(24 hrs) ....any suggestions????
When I worked in the radiator business we always used just plain old acid core solder. Unless you are drinking the water there's no sense in using lead free solder.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:10 PM

Thats what I was looking for.I tried again and still cant get them to work together,so,I guess I'll try a radiator shop tomorrow.I should have thought of that.Not many copper and brass radiators any more but they should still have the stuff on hand...just in case..Thanks...
Old 02-08-2010, 06:21 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Thats what I was looking for.I tried again and still cant get them to work together,so,I guess I'll try a radiator shop tomorrow.I should have thought of that.Not many copper and brass radiators any more but they should still have the stuff on hand...just in case..Thanks...
No problem. BTW, I like your avatar. It reminds me of what my first rabbit looked like.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:36 PM

I hope you wern"t using a 22 ruger too.Poor wittle wabbit wood way twenty more pounds wid dat much wed in it....I love that little pistol...Hey, we were talking about lead I wonder how much longer it'll take for them to make lead free ammo?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

I picked up my Acid core solder at my local welding supply. The last pound I bought was $ 21.50, that was last year, but nothing works better on a radiator.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:09 PM

Even better.... my welding supply store is three blocks away and I need one way valves for my torches anyway...
Old 02-08-2010, 10:49 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
I wonder how much longer it'll take for them to make lead free ammo?
Alas, they are already. Especially shot shells, but also big game rounds made from copper alloy. They're mandatory in CA's "no lead zone" (no kidding!).

There's always been frangible rounds and "less lethal" rounds, that sort of thing. But leave it to CA to do something like create a no lead zone.

I've always thought the way hoplophobes (people who irrationally fear firearms or gun control fanatics) would end up wresting away our guns would be by legislating against/restricting/taxing excessively the ammo, not the guns.

DB- how much solder do you need? I've got a good-sized roll of rosin core lead solder (70/30 IIRC) here somewhere.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 AM

It figures Cali would be first in line, Dont they have enough to worry about.like ruining one of the most fertile valleys in the world and all the infrastructure and jobs that go with it because of some little fish you cant even eat.I hate to give them any ideas but how about a law for Lead free sinkers for fishing?*** does Arnold know about running a state as big as some countries, hes an actor and not a very good one at that.At least Regan could make a great speech and that congress women ????is she living in some kind of dream world ,how much damage will they be allowed to do before the voters get rid of them?......Along with extra taxes ,Let the insurance companies get involved in our self defense issues too.....handguns will require insurance, so only the rich can legally own one.that way they don't have to outlaw them but still only the crooks can have one and they wont have to worry about open season on them..Thanks for the offer Cobalt but I'm going to get a big roll and some other stuff I've been needing from the welding supply shop ,as soon as everything opens up.Then I'll go to the range and fire off another 300 rounds and thank God I live in Ga.where my drinking water is the last of my worries,(I don't drink HOT water anyways) and I can carry this baby and not worry about someone stealing what I worked so hard for (even grandma carries,still works too)....Hey that sounds like a politician....Self centered, Lazy,nonworking, entitled,Always going after the ez targets.......Thieves....no wonder they don't want us to have guns.......Well,we're finally having some decent weather here and I've rambled long enough ,time to get my day started....Thanks for the ideas guys....
Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

Yea , just wait till they come out with political correct Ammo, it apologizes to the person before killing them.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

amo restrictions

A lot of Amo is in short supply in the rocky mt states. The Military used to sell spent brass to amo companies so it could be reloaded. Now they sell it to china for less per pound that US reloaders paid.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.