Question about masking, how do i do this bodyline - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question about masking, how do i do this bodyline

Ok, i'm up against a horrible horrible line, that was bent and mangled enough that the metal does not have the line anymore, so after pounding and pulling so it's sorta right, i've moved onto glass and bondo. the bondo covers about 2.5 feet of the body line and i have no idea how to tape and sand or whatever i need to do to make it look right.

here is my best paint drawing of what a cross section looks like.

i havn't ever had to do a bodyline where the long board wouldn't cover from metal to metal, so i really am lost and previous efforts left me with a line rivaling that of a drunk mans swagger. This is also over the rear wheelwell so getting a longer board won't help as it makes hips over the wheels.

here is a picture of the rear end of the car for you to get a better idea of what i'm talking about (not my car)

so if someone could help me out i would really appreciate it. I tried getting 2 body guys to help me out but all will say they will help and none will show up

Advertisement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Restorer/Builder

Last journal entry: 48 Grille Swap 3
Last photo:

Dubz...do you use a cheese grater on your mud? I work my mud with a cheese grater to get the mud straight and to cut body lines like you need to do. After cheese grating I block with 40# grit. At this point I am sanding out the cheese grater marks and sharpening the body line. The mud is already straight and the body line formed via cheese grater. Then I hit the mud with some 80# and prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

not quite understanding how a bodyfile would get it, i allready have the rough shape of my chopped fiberglass filler underneath, just wondering how i get the line straight down the car, and curved the same?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Restorer/Builder

Last journal entry: 48 Grille Swap 3
Last photo:

Try making a template of the other side(assuming it's in good shape). Measure distances from wheel lips and qtr. bottoms to help. A striaght edge comes in handy not only for checking the straightness of the body line you are trying to build but also the roll of the panel. Altough trying to build a body line outa mud doesn't sound like the best thing to do..as long as there is good metal underneath nothing wrong with it.

Disclaimer: Depending on the availabilty of a quality replacement part.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Old enough to know better

Build your own long board out of a piece of 2x4. shape it to fit your contour, make it long enough to span what you need, and use self adheasive roll paper on it.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

guess i didn't describe the situation well enough.

the rear quarters on the car are about an inch to 2" wider out at the wheelwells, as is the body line. a cross section at any point will look similar to the paint image i created.

A longer board will sand away the curvature of the body line outwards, which currently is near perfect. The problem is sanding the line itself, and having it look uniform down the car, as well as straight down the car, all the while maintaining the sexy bulge at the hips.

if i had a digicam it would be so much easier to explain, or a 3d model program or something to show what i meen

View from the side, the line i am working on is the one that runs from just behind the front wheel to the back of the car.

View from the top so you can see bulging. Longest boards i can use is a 16" and not have too much problems with making it flatten the bulge.

Last edited by Dubz; 11-02-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Old enough to know better

What I was saying is to take a 2x4 on edge and cut it so the curve matches the view from the top. Stick paper on the curved edge and you can smooth the panel without flattening the curve (bulge).
Old 11-03-2004, 08:31 PM

Last journal entry: metal finish

If this were something i was going to do i would prolly use a 3m foam pad usually used for wet sanding. put some 40 on it and just take ur time. i dont know how experienced u are but if u take ur time and have patience then u can make it straight. if you have access to a stud welder i would say grind the filler out and try and get it pulled closer out to where it just needs a coat of plastic. good luck either way. curves like that are often tricky for us guys that have been doing this for a while.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.