Hot Rod Forum banner

question about matching paint???

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bullheimer 
#1 ·
I had a wheel come off my 72 nova and it pushed up my quarter panel. I have fixed the panel but need to paint it now.. A friend told me i could buy some paint in a spray can thats like car paint and after it dries i could use some 1000-1500 grit sand paper to sand it down and use rubbing compound to try to get it to match..
I dont have a good paint job. ( i got what i paid for). my car is black. kinda like gloss black with no clear coat. Is this a good way to do it,(instead of painting the whole car) or is there a better way . thanks robbie

#3 ·
If your car is a real beater and all you are after is avoiding rust for a couple of years, go with the rattle cans. However if the car is fairly decent, I would tape off the panel and paint it with a one stage catalyzed paint that would color and and polish to a nice, durable finish. Black is the cheapest paint color they make. A quart of Nason (Dupont's bargain brand) with hardner will be less than $50.

#5 ·
I saw an article in I think Rod and Custom or Street Rodder a few years ago about a guy that matches paint and puts them into spray cans,but I can't remember which issue.Alot of paint shops have a special camera to take a pic of the paint then they can match it up.You can get a pint of it made for you.Also some brands match up better than others.I think PPG blends and matches the best.Or just have the whole car painted over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.