A question about Matte Clear (PPG) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 11:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

A question about Matte Clear (PPG)

Hey guys, I'm painting my 67 galaxie mid-night metallic blue from Auto Air Colors - I'm also going to clear it using PPG's matte finish clear. Is there any special method or aftercare when using a matte finish clear coat besides not buffing it?

Any help would be great....thanks a bunch...

-jase

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 06:14 PM

My question to you not knowing your background but do you KNOW HOW to mix that clear properly? The tech sheets on that clear(2060) are a PITA to understand the proper mix ratio. Make sure you KNOW the correct mix.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

Next question, why matte clear on a nice midnight blue metalic?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:50 AM

Last photo:

I'd venture to guess that he saw the same car on TV that I did. Not sure of what show it was but they were talking to some rat rod club members. There was a drop dead gorgeous blue car in the background. Metallic paint with a flat finish. Never would have thought that would make a good looking paint job but it did!
I think you'd have to get the base laid down perfectly though....without the gloss your eye can really see the flake better. If it was uneven it would stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:26 AM

I thought the PPG 2060 was pre-mixed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle
My question to you not knowing your background but do you KNOW HOW to mix that clear properly? The tech sheets on that clear(2060) are a PITA to understand the proper mix ratio. Make sure you KNOW the correct mix.
I was told by my dealer that the PPG 2060 Matte clear was pre-mixed, all I had to do was shoot it.

Would it be best to do the basecoat myself and then have a pro shoot the clear? I chose auto-air colors because A) I like the finished look B) its water based and C) its applied in extremely light coats making it extremely hard to screw up. This is my first paint job and I wanted to take the safest road...

The reason behind not using a gloss clear is simply that I don't like super glossy paintjobs, never did. The matte has that "touchable" finish that I really dig - I once saw a 50's lincoln painted dark maroon with a matte clear and it was like velvet - very nice look with no glare and the matte didn't do much as far as "hiding" the nice paint underneath, it just gave it a smooth creamy finish.

So, what do you all think I should do?

Thanks for all the help so far...

-Jase

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.