Hot Rod Forum banner

Question about modern ford V6 motors

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pmeisel 
#1 ·
Just an observation: A co worker of mine drives an '03 explorer and another an '03 F150. The explorer has a 4.0 V6, whereas the F150 has a 4.2 liter V6. What are the reasons for ford using two different motors in two very similar vehicles? Torque characteristics or powerband?

Just curious-

K

#2 ·
I'm not 100% on this, but I think I know. It's a similar concept to the GM 3100 & 3400 series engines.

The 4.0L came out in the early 90's ('92?) for the Ranger & Explorer. It has a similar block design to the 4.6L mod motor in the Crown Vic and later the Mustang, Thunderbird, and full size trucks. The main difference is the V8 is OHC while the V6 is pushrod. The 4.2L is an update to the 4.0L that makes it a bit more efficient & powerful. (kinda like the 4.6/5.4 but not as big of a jump in power) Thus they put the 4.2L in the F-150 and kept the 4.0L in the ranger & explorers. To make it even more confusing they made the 4.0L OHC as well to boost the power numbers to close to the 4.2L, and to make it run smoother when the luxury SUV market picked up in the early 00's.

My 2004 F-150 Heritage has the 4.2L with a 5sp. That SOB pulls like a V8. 202hp & 252lb/ft. You'll not see a 4.0L with that kind of power. Hence why the small SUV and ranger has the 4.0L and the F-150 has the 4.2L.

Does that clear anything up?

#3 ·
I was hoping you'd answer.

Yeah it clears it up somewhat. I knew the 4.0 was an older motor, but I also figured that the F150 and explorer shared a frame, so I wondered what the deal was using a different motor!

The thing I woudl expect to see, however, is because the explorers are so heavy I'll bet the torque curve in the 4.0 is flat like a pancake.

K

#4 ·
killerformula said:
I was hoping you'd answer.

Yeah it clears it up somewhat. I knew the 4.0 was an older motor, but I also figured that the F150 and explorer shared a frame, so I wondered what the deal was using a different motor!

The thing I would expect to see, however, is because the explorers are so heavy I'll bet the torque curve in the 4.0 is flat like a pancake.

K

Older Explorers and the new Explorer Sport Trac (are you confused already lol!) are based off the ranger. The regular Explorers are their own design and only weigh about 4500lbs. Explorers don't have anything in common with the F-150. The Expedition does as it rides on the 1997-2003 F-150 frame and shares the V8 drivetrain -no V6 either in the big Ford SUV's. The Excursion is based off the F-250. The latter two are heavier than their pickup truck counterparts.

Those Ford V6's are a lot more powerful then they appear. I've outrun V8 chevys and dodges in my little V6 Ford with ease :thumbup: As for the torque curve, I can pass people on a two lane road going 45mph without having to downshift out of overdrive (5th gear). It can go over 100mph too but I'd better not spill the beans......oops too late :D

#6 ·
Here's the deal. Back several years ago Ford had excess 4.0L V6 capacity in Cologne, Germany where they had built these engines for several years, and decided to bring them over here to put in the old model Explorer and the 4x4 Rangers, etc. (sport trac is based on these).

Meanwhile the 4.2L V6 is built in Ontario, where they used to build the 3.8L.... it was the base V6 in the full size truck....

The two engines were not off the same design at all, just updates of things Ford has built for years. Engine plants are expensive to retool so they will use an old design as long as it works and fits......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.