Hot Rod Forum banner

question about mp brakes setup

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  38 old coupe 
#1 ·
i bought a mp brakes set for my 38 olds coupe installed it today it was a universal 7 inch duel booster setup. i made the bracket sit flush with the bottom of my dash . now the prob is the bottom of the pedal sits 12 inches off the floor and i have it set to the back hold on the mount and it is 12 inches off the fire wall i haven't put fluid in but it says to set pedal so that 1 1/2 out from floor when bottoms out where it is set up at with this measurements im 1/4 inch from floor when bottoms out i was thanking of adding 6 inches to the pedal length but then i would have 9 to 1 ratio instead of the 6 to 1 ratio but the 12 inch off the fire wall wont work . any ideas next would to return it and get a Manuel set up from wilwood. but i would like to have the power setup. also the pedal length is 12 inches and they don't make there pedals longer and i cannot go under the floor i only have 5 inches to depress the pedal tell it hits the tranney bell housing . thanks kelly

#2 ·
Can you extend the pedal a proportionate amount on the top as you do the bottom and move the upper mount so you keep the ratio the same? Or maybe move the upper mount and use a pedal out of a '70's pickup. some of them are pretty long. Just a thought. I was going to use one of those universal hanging pedal things from MP in a 33 pickup but I ran into the same problem. Pedal was too high off the floor. I wound up making my own pedal and bracket. In any event you want to keep the ratio at 5 or 6 to 1 for power brakes.
hope this helps, mikey

#5 ·
If you make it longer on the pivot side of the pedal as well as the bottom you can keep the proportions the same . here's an example: if your current pedal is 6:1 and the center to center dimensions are 2" from pivot to pushrod, and 12" from pushrod to pedal pad, then you could add the 6" from the pushrod to the pedal pad, making it 18" . you would then add 1" to the length between pushrod and pivot making it 3". then it is 18:3 or 6 :1. you would have to move the upper mount up 1" to keep the M/C in the same place. I would make a new pedal if I was going to go to all that trouble. hope this helps, mikey

#6 ·
hello i called brake tech solutions the guy says he is the one who makes these setup for other company's and he is going to make me a pedal for 50 dollars im going to try a 16 inch pedal and from center of pivot point to center of hole for booster is going to be 2 and 3/4 inches witch gives me a 5.82 to 1 ratio he said it is going to take 2 weeks or so and i was told when i get it all filed with fluid i can adjust the pedal hight. i could only go 3 inches longer because the way the fire wall comes down flat then so far down had a slope to it before it hits the floor . thanks kelly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.