Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question about my project.
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 09:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question about my project.

I own a 1995 Nissan 240sx. I was told that you guys here would be the best source of advice for the problem I'm faced with.

In 2003 I had another 95 240, but one day on my way to work some ****** ran a redlight and it was totaled. A few weeks ago my wife told me to come to her job so we could go to dinner, and when I arrived there a white 95 240 sat parked with ribbon on it. I was stoked. After a few days however, I began to hear somewhat of a grinding rotational noise and I smelled fuel. I took it to the shop to have the grinding noise checked out and the fuel lines looked at. I got a call from the shop telling me to come down because they wanted to show me something.

With the car on the lift the guy showed me that rust was all over underneath the car. The fuel smell i was smelling was coming from the fuel lines that run alongside the right of the car. They were rusted and leaking fuel. There were two cracks about a foot long and a little less than half an inch wide. One ran along the back of the spare tire well, and the other was along the passenger side of the frame. He told me that the serious problem was from the rear up to the engine. He said the engine looked good.

I took the car, at the advice of the mechanic, to a body shop to see what could be done. The body shop guy told me to get rid of the car. He pointed out three or four areas on the body panels that had painted over rust spots that were around the size of a nickel to the size of a 50 cent piece. He told me that in the process of fixing these problems there's no telling what he'll find and it would cost me 5G's+. So I'm looking for an alternative. I want to do as much of the work as possible to cut costs/learn. I have been at present looking at the product Rust Bullet and wondered if anyone has experience with this product or with another product? I also wanted to get any input possible on this problem.