Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question about my project.
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 05:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I agree with bud. From what you describe it seems like it is pretty rusty, and yes there can be a lot hiding once you get into the work. The only way to find out for sure is to start removing paint. A body in better shape may be better both time and money wise. Its quite a bit of work taking something that is really rusty and welding in new parts or patches all over the car. Anywhere the metal is weak, or has holes, the only way it will last is to get rid of it and replace with new metal. Also check the insides of the panels. Rust is a battle and always fighting to come back, so do the most you can to stop it, replace bad metal, blast less severe spots, and don't forget to coat the inside of panels with a rust proofing coating. I guess you could always strip a few panels, to see more what you are dealing with, but you may be better off looking for something that has a better body like Bud suggested. Add to that the fact you will have to probably replace all your fuel lines and other parts. That is a unibody car, so you don't want rockers and floor pans and other structual parts of the car to be weak with rust. It would be different if it were something kind of rare that has a lot of value, but that car you would be better off finding a rust free body.