Question about oil pressure on chevy sb ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question about oil pressure on chevy sb ?

Its 1988 1500 chevy truck with a 350, I just got it about 2 months ago and have been fixing one thing after another ,and I put a 2 inch oil pressure gauge in cause the one in dash wasent working. I changed the oil about month ago and oil didnt look to bad but i took the vaule covers off to change gaskets and too my surprize there was so much sluge from them not changing the oil right and not good oil. I did clean the covers and top of heads and was carefull about droping any sluge down the oil gallerys. so after all that been driving it alittle maybe 50 miles or so and oil pressure at idle, when stopped , would be between 5-15 pds and driving about 55 mph would be around 50 pds but now its between 20 -40 driving ,and below 5 pd mark at idle . I was going to change oil after driving it about hundred miles but fixing to change it today. but i guess my question is ,if the oil pressure at idle is about 5 pds or so, that should be ok im guessing. I dont drive truck much ,maybe 50 miles or less a week. sorry so long guys . and plus the air temp is around 95 , and my engine temp while driving is around 165.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 05:11 PM

No, 5 pounds isn't enough at idle, you can get away with 7-10 but even that's pushing it. Sounds like the old girl is just worn out and needs a rebuild. What you took out and disturbed could cause a problem but doubtful. If you can drop the pan with releative ease my guess is you'll find sludge and lots of it. SBC will run 60 cold,20/30 at idle when warm and 40/50 when warm. All things being good.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Sounds like the oil pump screen is partially plugged with gunk. What brand of oil filter do you have on it (hopefully not Fram).
Old 07-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer View Post
Sounds like the oil pump screen is partially plugged with gunk. What brand of oil filter do you have on it (hopefully not Fram).
Thats what im thinking to ,and yes i have a fram oil filter. I just changed the oil and filter. when i cranked it ,the oil pressure was at 60 but didnt didnt drive it yet. I know its alot of trouble,but do you think it would be worth it to drop the pan and ck the screen, and if i went that far i would go ahead and change the oil pump. but first going to drive it some.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

you didn't mention what oil viscosity rating you are useing. Try something a little heavier for summer driving.
It's amazing how much abuse the sbc will take and still run.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Do yourself a favor and place that fram filter in the garbage and get a WIX filter or hastings
Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie43 View Post
Thats what im thinking to ,and yes i have a fram oil filter. I just changed the oil and filter. when i cranked it ,the oil pressure was at 60 but didnt didnt drive it yet. I know its alot of trouble,but do you think it would be worth it to drop the pan and ck the screen, and if i went that far i would go ahead and change the oil pump. but first going to drive it some.
You might try and put some sea foam in the crankcase and drive it a while to loosen the gunk, change the oil again and see how it does. Heres a link.

Sea Foam | Using Sea Foam Motor Treatment in Crankcase Oil | Tech Info - Diesel Engines
Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar327 View Post
Do yourself a favor and place that fram filter in the garbage and get a WIX filter or hastings
I tried throwing it in the trash but it was full of wix filters and hastings filters lmao
The Following User Says Thank You to robbie43 For This Useful Post:
Richiehd (07-11-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 PM

Last journal entry: 310 Small Block Chevy
Last photo:

Put in a bottle of Lucus heavy duty engine oil stabalizer, the stuff is pretty kick axx, it will by you some time.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridder View Post
Put in a bottle of Lucus heavy duty engine oil stabalizer, the stuff is pretty kick axx, it will by you some time.
I did ,and went with 30 w motor oil, I just drove it about 25 miles and after the engine got hot, and at idle ,the oil pressure was at 8-10 and driving around 40 .. I made alot of stop and go's so like you said ,hoping it will by me some time thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
I did ,and went with 30 w motor oil, I just drove it about 25 miles and after the engine got hot, and at idle ,the oil pressure was at 8-10 and driving around 40 .. I made alot of stop and go's so like you said ,hoping it will by me some time thanks
Before jumping through any hoops, change the oil filter. I don't care what brand. If the filter gets obstructed the pressure can fall, especially if the bypass has been blocked off.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Last journal entry: 310 Small Block Chevy
Last photo:

Quote:
I ran a 350 like that in my 78 Blazer for more than a year, if you stuck your head under the frount end with engine idling you could hear the rods gurgling like a baby, it was halarryas. that motor never blew! it will be ok as long as it dosnt start knocking.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.