Question about paint cracking on fiberglass - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

well i guess it will remain a mystery . there is no gel coat on corvettes. never was. the early cars were done with white resin then later it went to gray . you can look at a virgin body and see fibers on the surface. the easy sanding gel coat is actually the factory primer that does not come off with stripper most of the time. i took it off the 62 with type6 acrylic , the 57 was do degraded i had to stop blasting and change to a softer media. the dark gray is what is mistaken for gel coat. as you can see in the pics of the new bodies there is no dark gray gel coat . just resin and fiber. somewhere i have a book on the vette bodies . gm didn't build them . i'll look for it.

but the bottom line is epoxy is the only product proven to work on the polyester resins once cured. it is recommended for repair and i use epoxy for surfacing. reason being it's adhesion qualities both for sticking to the polyester and for hold out in paint. jmho
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	39571   Click image for larger version

Name:	lf fender.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	39572   Click image for larger version

Name:	vettes.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	39573  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 01:26 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like the epoxy oughta take care of it. I haven't kept up with auto paint and the current materials for a long time, so I didn't know in advance of posting here that epoxy primers were being used in auto paint work now.

I have used high build epoxy primer of the industrial variety on equipment that's been blasted, and on stuff like that, you can topcoat with straight enamel or acrylic enamel, and it'll hold up near about forever. The same prep, but use conventional primer, and if it goes 5 years without rust beginning to bubble the paint here and there, its pure luck. So, from the standpoint of durability, etc I'm already a believer in epoxy primers, and its good to find out they're available in automotive formulations now.

Shine, re the Vette bodies, they've been made from day one by MFG (Molded Fiberglass Corp). They still make them today even though the materials and processes have changed over the years.

MFG was the first mass producer of fiberglass boats too, although I'm not sure they still make them. They got into making boats when GM stopped Corvette production sometime in 1954. If you recall, that carried into 55 as well, and accounted for the low 55 production volume, so the shutdown lasted a good while. MFG had built a new plant based on having the Corvette contract, and when GM stopped production they were suddenly in a what're we gonna do now situation.

They were set up in that plant for making big parts, so they figured a boat hull was a good way to keep it busy. They made some hulls and approached a few of the then-current wood boat builders, but none of them were interested. Most of them said fiberglass boats were something that'd never catch on with the public. Sounds about like some of my own dumb predictions of future trends

Anyway, they decided if no one else wanted to buy the hulls, they'd just build the complete boats themselves, so that's what they did, and quite successfully too for a number of years.

MFG today is a big company, involved in about every aspect of composite production. But they're still owned by the family of the man who started it. He's dead now, but his son has been the head of it for the last 20 or 25 years. They probably owe a lot of their success to a lack of stockholders, Wall St parasites, and Harvard MBA's.

Again, thanks for the paint tutorial.

Cliff
Old 07-22-2009, 06:41 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

from bread trays to vette bodies . funny part is mr morrison had no idea how he was going to do it but he got the contract and went for it. i don't know how many corvettes i have done but there have been a few. in my younger days i free lanced at dealerships doing vette work. most of the bodymen and painters wanted nothing to do with them. when i would take a skill saw to one they took off. i'm blessed that glass does not bother me .
my next vette project will be a 54 restomod. maybe . i have a project of my own to do so i may just shut down and do it.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM

If I'm not mistaken, you have a bunch of projects to do!!!!!(shop truck, inderweeds, just to mention a few)............CR
Old 07-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Last photo:

TubeTek, don't substitute any other brand for SPI, it really is "hands down" the best epoxy primer you can buy. It is far superior to both PPG and DuPont in durability and price. I tried a little experiment with some PPG that had been sprayed on my steel 34 hood for several months. I soaked a rag in lacquer thinner and made a swipe across the hood.......the PPG epoxy wiped off . Needless to say I removed all of it and then sprayed on SPI. After several days cure I tried the same thing....it didn't wipe off. I can't stress enough how good the stuff is.

Vnce
Old 11-03-2012, 03:45 AM

Last photo:

Old thread but great info..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.