Question about painting car accessories - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 07:23 PM
They call me the fireman....

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question about painting car accessories

I am in the process of sandblasting a restoring a small mountain of parts prior to re-installing them. The question I have is this: Are there any particular brands of paint there that I should be using while restoring these parts. I have been using Dupli-Color brand paint that I purchased from NAPA and they look good when completed but I am concerned that I may not be the best quality. The last thing I want is to spend all this time prepping the part only to have the paint flake, fade or chip easily. I have been very careful to make sure that each part is completely prepped before painting. What brand or brands have you guys had good luck with?

Thanks,
NoClone

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
You are talking about aerosols. If you want quality, stay away from them and use real automotive grade paints and primers you spray out of a gun.

Brian
Old 12-02-2005, 07:35 PM
They call me the fireman....

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
You are talking about aerosols. If you want quality, stay away from them and use real automotive grade paints and primers you spray out of a gun.

Brian
I am talking about aerosols. Unfortunately when I do get a chance to work on the car, it is only for an hour or two at a time and I would probably spend more time cleaning up the gun that working on the part if I used a spray gun. Is painting the parts with aerosols a bad idea, or just not the best way to do it?
Old 12-02-2005, 08:05 PM

Brian is right, but if you have to use rattle cans,try to use a primer under them, also document all of your pieces and what you sprayed them with, then if you have to rework or scuff a part you will know what you put on it.
Some of the newer stuff out in rattle cans will work in your situation, because of your time restraints.
Like I went from eastwoods to napa's rattle can primer and cast iron blast, it looks better.
A toaster oven works good for small bolts and different pieces, I'm thinking of getting an old oven for larger stuff, it will make those rattle can bolts look shiny and harden the paint up.
You can get rattle cans mixed up with clear in them, talk to your local boby shop supply on what he can mix up for you, this market is changing, and they keep getting better stuff out there all the time. The motor in these pictures was sprayed with a rattle can mixed up from the local carquest, it still looks this good a year later, theres clear and some type of hardner in it. Hope this helps you out a little bit.
Rob
http://webpages.charter.net/2manitowoc
Old 12-03-2005, 07:12 AM

Last photo:

it's tough to give you an answer without identifying the parts

I like Duplicolor Truck and Van (acrylic lacquer) or Krylon (acrylic lacquer) for parts that I know will get beat up, just clean it, scuff it, respray it, but it has very little rust protection and will fade in the sun

store your sandblasted parts in zip lock bags (prove your crazy, "suck the extra air out" before closing) in the house till you have a pile of parts to paint
Old 12-03-2005, 08:48 AM

I would get the parts powder coated ,very durable out last any paint. Give it a try !

Later 70 runner

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.