Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question about re-covering seats.
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Broke

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Question about re-covering seats.

(This is for my 89 Firebird Formula, copy/pasted from my post on another forum so i didnt have to re-type. if you want to see pics of the seats for any suggestions/advice, www.cardomain.com/id/89formulaws6 has a few pics)

I'm ordering the tweed for my door panels, seats, etc. tomorrow and just have one question. I plan on carefully taking the current seat covers off so i can trace/cut out the new fabric the same shape as the old ones, then sew it together and stuff. Shouldnt be TOO hard if i take my time and stuff, but my only concern is that i'll end up with that cheap 15 dollar wal-mart seat cover look...ya know, real loose, etc. How do I get the material to stretch nice and tight and conform to the contour of the seats? I dont want the fabric stretched flat across the seat back because of the bolsters or whatever, same with the seat bottom. Also, if I want to do some sort of design in the fabric, should I sew the fabric to some thin foam and sew the patern or whatever it is i decide to do in like that? That would be the only way I could think of to add shape to the seat covers so it looks better than just a sheet of fabric thrown over the seats. Thanks,
-Chris
(BTW anyone have pics of seats theyve recoverd themselfs?)