Question about the rear end and suspension. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 12:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question about the rear end and suspension.

I am very green to hot rodding, I have a 47 dodge, it has skinny tires on it p18575r14. the tires are only 4 inches from the frame itself what are my options as far as getting thicker meats on the back end? any suggestions are appreciated. Thanx!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Most custom wheel companies make rims with special offsets ...
I usually make my own ... I take the center out of one rim and can put it in another ( usually a wider rim ) ... indicate it in on a lathe and weld it up ... Custom Offset ...

What style of rim do you want and what is your wheel pattern ... ( No ... I am not offering to make, sell or give you a rim ) ... Just need to know so I can point you in the right direction ..

Deuce ..
Old 07-11-2006, 05:28 PM

Hey Deuce, I dont like to impose on people the thought of you making or giving me rims never crossed my mind. (although Im sure you make cool wheels) but I am eager to learn and try to do this car on my own so if someone can offer me advice and I can do it the right way thats the route I go. my wheel lug pattern is 5 lug @ 4.5" I think I measured correctly. what do ya think? thanx!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Hotrodders.com has a strict policy against advertising in the tech forums ... SO I did not want members to think I was trying to SELL you a set ...

If you can weld and have access to a lathe ... it is easy.

I use the inner rim with the wheel pattern I need. I then find a rim ... usually wider than what I started with ... and remove the inner rim ... being careful NOT to damage the outer part of the rim .

Or you can buy the outers new ...
I then bolt the wheel center to a axle with the same wheel pattern and put the axle between centers on the lathe

Check for excessive run out ...
Then I install the wheel shell on the center ( after taking it out of the lathe ) and tap it as straight as I can and return the axle to between centers. I make the offset ... as close to being where I want it ... as possible and then I slowly turn the rim/shell/axle by hand and look for run out. Once I get it to fairly close ( by sight ) I use a dial indicator ... to indicate the shell as true as possible.

Once I am satisfied it is as true as I can get it .. I spot weld the rim to the shell ... ( be careful NOT to get any welding splatter on the lathe ... I cover the travels up real good .. ) I then recheck for true .. with the dial indicator ... and weld some more ... jumping from one side to the other and letting things cool ... so as to not draw the rim out of round or out of true. I try and not get the wheel out of balance by too much weld in any one area ...

Or YOU ... can just buy them already done ... they make them just about any way you want ... I am just old school and try to do whatever I can ... cause I CAN ... and it's a HOBBY ... not a job ...

Deuce ...

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/
Old 07-11-2006, 07:30 PM

thats pretty cool deuce, and we do have a machine shop with a lathe.( I work in the manufacturing field).

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.