question about respirators? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 10:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Respirators

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast51
Great link good info thanks!!!
It is much easier to have the best equipment than to replace your best painters

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2005, 11:37 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee4Me
I call it a POS excuse for an operating system.

Tear away's are a MUST with a paint hood or full mask for that mater.
Paint itself isn't so bad but clear is a completly different story.
It will coat quickly and you need a new "windshield" almost after each coat when doing a complete or large panel. The overspray sticks to it like the glue it is.
The fact that I didn't even think about the overspray ruining a new hood should tell you how much painting I've done. Usually I don't want to hear from a vendor except an order confirmation and the goods. This time I was glad the guy took notice and pointed out the need for those lens protectors. They are a whole lot cheaper than replacing the hood.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:17 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken383
grouch, what all options did you get with yours?

You'll have to let us know some product feedback when you use it.
You asked for it.

I just sprayed a car hood with some epoxy (and made a mess of it first use of HVLP. The epoxy contains no isocyanates but as soon as I popped the top on the can and the fumes hit, I flipped the switch on my new Neoterik system and put the safety hood on. I didn't smell the fumes again until I removed the safety hood after painting.

The system came with a small pump about the size of a football, 50 ft. of rugged-looking hose, a hose connector on a shoulder strap, the vinyl safety hood, face mask and more flexible hose to connect the hood to the strapped connector. The pump inlet has a HEPA particle filter. Don't forget to order lens protectors for the face mask.

The hood has an odor that's a mix between wintergreen and that sickly fresh plastic smell. Time and use make it go away. The lens protectors I got (after a reminder from Len at autobodystore.com) were crystal clear but the face mask for the hood is slightly foggy. Better visibility would top my wish list. The mask attaches to the hood by way of velcro or hook and loop.

The supply hose is fairly stiff but didn't cause any troubles while painting. This was my first use of an HVLP gun, first use of epoxy and first use of the Neoterik air supply system. The only distraction the air supply system caused was when I backtracked once around the hood and the hose came up in a loop. I just gave a little flip of the hip and it fell over away from the car. The shoulder strap held the hose connector just below the small of my back, on one side, and kept the supply hose out of the way the rest of the time.

My garage is 40 feet long. I had an exhaust fan set up in one end and the pump was about 20 feet away from my work, at the other end. I ran the supply hose down on the floor along one side of the car for the length of the car hood, looped it back around the front and down the other side for the length of the car hood. I don't think the hose would have been a problem if I were painting the entire car.

Bottom line: I'm glad I bought it. Shortcoming: visibility. Advantages over respirators: no short-life filters, no shaving my hermit's beard to get a seal, no absorbtion of fumes through eyes and skin.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:45 PM

I got the same one as you did grouch and painted a complete car while using it. It takes about 5 minutes to get used to and I did a good job IMO, it didn't bother me like I thought it would. My lens was crystal clear and I ordered the lens protectors. I bought mine off ebay, got a really good deal on a never used one. I'm very happy with mine and glad I got it.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I'm glad to see you guys starting to use some good protection.
I've been spraying and grinding paint for 50 years, 6 months ago I had been bragging on how healthy I was at 67, had not been to a Dr. for 30 years, healthy as a horse. In Feb. this year I shot a BC/CC job, that night I went to the Emg. room at the local hospital. Diagnosis...COPD...I've always used the best carbon canister filter I could get. Now I'm dragging a h2o hose every where I go. No more painting for me.

Every one should use a full air supplied suit when around paint!!

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 10-23-2005, 07:30 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

sorry to hear that troy, wish you the best. this is one reason i'm a little *****y about home jobs. i worry that guys just don't realize how nasty this stuff is. my mentor died at 55 when i was his helper. i was 17. since then i have had a complete checkup every year . scared hell out of me. even while mixing this stuff will kill you. a box fan in the window is not an exhaust. it's just not worth it. do your own prep and get someone to shoot it. i'll be 55 this year so my butt's a little puckered. be careful guys.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.