Question about sandblasting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 03:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question about sandblasting

Let me first introduce myself my name jose and I am trying to restore a 67 Mustang.

I finnally have enough money to get my car stripped but i don't know if it should media blasted or sandblasted. I also don't know how far i should disassemble the car i called a local shop and they siad to get the more bang for you buck the car should be completly stripped. Does this mean it should take the front and rear suspension? What should i do about the electircal wires should i just buy a painless kit?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Re - Question about sandblasting

Good Day Jose,

Is the car going to be a total rebuild as sandblasting is a little extreme, be very careful when sandblasting as it wraps panels but on chassis and front rear ends its ideal. Here in Australia I use crushed walnut shells for blasting panels. If you have a large shed or garage I would suggest pulling the vehicle completly apart that means every last nut and bolt but it also depends on your budget.

Cheerio
Owen.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:02 PM

Sandblasting panels especially flat ones can run into warping problems,I only do it if there's rust present otherwise walnut shells.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Jose, I highly recommend you bring your car to a shop who strips with plastic media. Crown Chevrolet in Dublin has this service. They are less than two hours from you and for less than the materials would cost you, you can have a pro do it.

DO NOT sandblast the sheet metal on the car. It WILL warp beyond repair without serious skills or luck.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:16 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The level of the disassembly depends on the budget and ability of the worker. As for striping the body, the method should depend on the condition of the body. If there is little or no rust, i would use a paint striper and only blast the rusted areas. Depending on the level of rust, Randy Ferguson had a great post on removing rust. As for the wireing, that again depends on the budget and work level.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

DO NOT SANDBLAST body panels, listen to what martinsr says. I wish I had taken pics of the 65 mustang deck lid that I totally destroyed by sandblasting and I thought that I was being careful at the time. If someone tells you they can do it without hurting anything DON'T BELIEVE IT! It sometimes can be done successfully but it is extremely risky. Engine compartment,door posts and floor pans seem to blast ok but no outside panels.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:47 PM

Has anyone tried getting the car totally dipped?? I have heard of someone doing this but don't know were or who does this. I think for some reason I think I heard Ohio.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:56 PM

In response to my last post,sandblasting a body panel should be done by someone with enough experience to know what pressure to use what angle to hold nozzle at and proper media but all in all best left pros I my self have blasted even the roof on my stationwagon w/o problems but then again I've been doing body work for 20 years!
Old 02-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
I didn't read your first post well, you want to have it done, not do it yourself. My suggestions still stand DO NOT PAY TO HAVE SOMEONE SANDBLAST IT EITHER. A "pro" can distroy your panels as easy as an amature. Do NOT believe the guy when he says he can do it. With all do respect to Littlered wagon, I understand you can, but you just can't trust that the guy will actually be able to do it.

I have see "Pros" DISTROY just as many cars as home hobbyest with sand blasting. The home hobbyest doesn't know what he is doing. The "Pro" has a super powerfull sandblaster that only needs a careless second or two to do the damage.

On the rust issue, any media what will be light enough to not damage panels like plastic, walnutshells and the like will not remove rust. So, if rust is the issue, see Randys thread at the top of the forum. If you simply want to remove paint, there is nothing nicer and more "healthy" for the car than plastic media. No need to worry about disassembly even! The windows and chrome don't even have to be removed!! Aluminum trim will, but the plastic media won't even hurt the chrome plating. This is of course a moot point being you would be stripping the car of all trim for painting. But as for the motor and other moving parts that sand from sandblasting will DISTROY, plastic media will not touch.

For about $400.00 you get a perfectly clean car back with no etch to the metal, no damaged parts, it literally looks like newly stamped metal, very cool.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:12 AM

Sorry if my post was unclear. I was going to have a local shop do it. They had booth at local car show and I had been led to believe that the best way to start a restoration was by having a car sandblasted. I never thought that it could hurt the car in anyway. The car does have some rust on the floor and in the few other places. Now you guys made re-think the way i should do this. What do you guys think would be the best way? Remove the rust myself and have the car media blasted?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:14 AM

I agree MARTIN SR. other people won't have the finess as if the owned it themselves,the only reason I stripped the roof on my wagon is that it had rust pits all over it & thanks to Martin Senor ethching primer the rust hasn't pulled back through.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Has anyone tried getting the car totally dipped?? I have heard of someone doing this but don't know were or who does this. I think for some reason I think I heard Ohio.
I had my '62 dipped at Redi-Strip in Columbus, Ohio. It was $600.00 for just the body. It wouild have been less but they had to dip mine more than once because of the amount of undercoating on it, then it was bead blasted. Well worth the money. Not sure if they are still in business or if they have changed hands. If any of you Columbus guys on here know, drop the word. It was located across the road by Mt. Carmel East on what I think was Industrial Drive.

Kevin
Old 02-11-2005, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Check out http://www.metalrehab.com

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.