Question about sanding. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question about sanding.

Hello all,

I have been reading this forum for some time now and enjoy it alot good info here.
I did a search for my question but did not really find a answer, Here is what I have done I'm restoring a 60 mini. And I stripped the car with 80 grit on a bondo hog. Got the metal as close as I could and did my filler work I used 36 grit to start and finished with 80. I also made sure that the filler was in 80 before putting on the next coat as I read about that on here.

After that I primed it with 2 k primer the filler and metal were in 80 grit now I am really worried about sanding showing through later on how can I be sure this won't be a problem? A good old body man friend of mine said never go finer than 80 grit on your filler so i didn't was he Wong?
I seem to be reading about going to 180 or finer on here is the normal way to do it? I did not read about this or notice that most seem to go finer than 80 before priming or I would of ask sooner.

So what now? Is it OK to prime over 80 or did I just screw up the whole job. Is there a way to know when primer is done shrinking (like in a month?) so I can block it out and feel confident that nothing will show up later I want to do this right even if I have to sand all my primer off onto the floor and start over.
Thanks for any help
Jeff

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 05:04 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

You're fine stopping at 80 if you primed with a good filling 2K primer.
Let the primer dry for at least 24 hrs to minimize shrinking.
More is better, I like to wait 2 to 3 days.
Some say that's overkill, but it does assure those scratches not coming back
by the primer not shrinking more after sanded. Longer is better.

Sanding finer than 80 on filler is perfectly ok,
I like to go over it with 150 when I'm done.
Especially the adjoining areas that have deep scratches,
like the existing paint that I sanded into.
Again, it's insurance against those scratches coming back.
You can go as fine as you want, the primer will hold just fine as
long as it's clean.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff10049
Hello all,

I have been reading this forum for some time now and enjoy it alot good info here.
I did a search for my question but did not really find a answer, Here is what I have done I'm restoring a 60 mini. And I stripped the car with 80 grit on a bondo hog. Got the metal as close as I could and did my filler work I used 36 grit to start and finished with 80. I also made sure that the filler was in 80 before putting on the next coat as I read about that on here.

After that I primed it with 2 k primer the filler and metal were in 80 grit now I am really worried about sanding showing through later on how can I be sure this won't be a problem? A good old body man friend of mine said never go finer than 80 grit on your filler so i didn't was he Wong?
I seem to be reading about going to 180 or finer on here is the normal way to do it? I did not read about this or notice that most seem to go finer than 80 before priming or I would of ask sooner.

So what now? Is it OK to prime over 80 or did I just screw up the whole job. Is there a way to know when primer is done shrinking (like in a month?) so I can block it out and feel confident that nothing will show up later I want to do this right even if I have to sand all my primer off onto the floor and start over.
Thanks for any help
Jeff
Let's put it this way, you friend is wrong.

Can you leave it 80 grit and be ok, yes and no. It really depends on the primer you applied over it and HOW it was applied. HOW it was a applied is a BIGGIE. If a slow reducer was used, if it was bombed on, if a number of coats were applied with little flash time between them, you could show shrinkage days, weeks, or months later. If it was applied correctly with plenty of flash time and proper reducer for the metal/shop temp you will be fine.

But honestly, you are asking the primer to do an awful lot. Finishing up the filler work with 120 or 180 makes a BIG difference.

Brian
Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 PM

Well I hosed it on pretty good and I did not give much flash time, but this is just my first primer it'll be a month before I'm done blocking it out I don't get a lot of time to work on it. I can see some areas that will need more work already so that will be another week or two added before the next primer. I assume that with this much time and one or two more primes to go before the thing is done I will be OK? unless it continues to shrink and shows through the next primer.

thanks for the replies and help.

Jeff

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.