Question about what cam to use - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2006, 07:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question about what cam to use

I have a question.I know there is some serious engine builders on this site who have already done what I'm doing.Any way the engine is a 400 small block 4.185 bore.It has 10.5 compression,it has been decked,and the springs on the springs have a 680 max lift,and I was talking to who made the head,and they said the smallest I could go with these solid roller springs would be like a 516" lift.There made by jegs Hi-performance,and they are the aluminum 64cc with 197cc runners,The car will be a street strip car,and has a 3500 stall with 4:10 gears.The pistons have a d cup,and are made by Keith Black KB130,I am also running a 6" eagle I beam rod.I am wanting the rpm range to be about 3000-6500 or somewhere in there.I want to make the most power,and I was also told I could run a flat tappet cam,would that work it would be alot cheaper,but would it hurt my performance?Just any help on the engine and a good cam selection would be greatly appreciated,if someone has built a similar engine who has put alot of mustangs in there rear view give a recommendation on a cam that should make my 70 Camaro do the same. I want to use as much lift as I can without hurting my power level
Thanks for reading

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
You may not know this, but every cam grinder out there has a tech department with analysts who will spec a cam for you free of charge. You may get some recommendations on this forum as well. Consider all answers and choose the cam which sounds to you like it will do the best job for you.

You will get more performance from a roller cam than with a flat tappet cam of the same 0.050" lift specs because the roller can get the valve open quicker. The other advantage is that, barring something catastrophic, the lobes won't go away on a roller like they can on a flat tappet cam.

You are just about at the limit of hydraulic cams at 6,500 because of lifter pump-up. You may want to look at a solid roller and a solid flat tappet type cam before you make a choice.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

yea comp cams makes a solid flat tappet with a 555" lift on intake and exhaust,with a 3000-6500.I'm thinking of going with this one

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.