Question, in anticipation of an argument with an idiot - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question, in anticipation of an argument with an idiot

I am anticipating an argument with an idiot.....I know it's coming. We have the same car. Similar motors.

So the question is....

RWHP number....

1. From what I understand a manual transmission is more efficient than an automatic. How much difference in HP, percentage wise, is the difference between automatic and stick.

2. How much is an AC delete worth in terms of HP. I'm running stock AC set up. It's a street can and I have to be comfortable.

I just want to slam this idiot to the ground when he brings it up.

The primary difference between the two cars are those two things I mention, what would you anticipate they are worth in terms of HP?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 10:29 PM

Both of these are hard to quantify, but the difference will probably be very slight.

A manual transmission has more efficient power transfer because the clutch has a more direct engagement, but the torque converter in the automatic usually gives it some advantages off the line. Then you have to factor in how good the person is with shifting the manual transmission. The manual gives more control, but requires more skill.

In most cases there isn't that much difference in performance. The automatic often wins out in a straight line race because its less dependent on driver skill off the line and for shifting. However, if you are looking at road race, the manual might be better because most automatics don't make it easy to shift manually and keep it in the right gear for best power.

The AC delete probably has no measurable effect on performance, since an AC compressor that is turned off doesn't offer much resistance. However, removing the AC parts would give a weight advantage.

Bruce
Old 06-13-2009, 10:49 PM
More for Less Racer

On the trans difference, 4-5% in high (1-1) gear because you are not rotating as much weight or turning a hydraulic (front) pump. AC is nothing when turned off, it is basically an idler pulley. As stated before it may show in track times because of system weight, but not on the chassis dyno.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Loves to spooge

Last photo:

Forgetting about off the line advantages, the auto absorbs more hp because more mass in the plantetary gear sets is being turned instead of a mainshaft and countershaft in a manual. You didnt say what car, as newer auto trans are more efficient now than years ago. But that is why around 3-5% more is lost with auto.
As said earlier AC only burns a little power when on. When off the pump is like another idler pulley.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:37 AM

This is pretty much what I suspected. This guy is all about dyno numbers. He likes to take completely oddball comparisons that fit his view of the world. So just double checking my position before I have to deal with him.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Bit of advise......Don't argue with an idiot....when you do, you become one too........

Budget RVs
Old 06-14-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Bit of advise......Don't argue with an idiot....when you do, you become one too........

It's a sport. I don't take it seriously. Just all in fun.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

a slipping trans conv. is inefficent, a locked one is basically as efficent as a clutch. If the AC is on then it can take about 20hp in some cases, if it is off then it is basically just added weight, which can be around 300lbs.

I'd love to hear exactly how this argument goes- keep us posted.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
a slipping trans conv. is inefficent, a locked one is basically as efficent as a clutch. If the AC is on then it can take about 20hp in some cases, if it is off then it is basically just added weight, which can be around 300lbs.

I'd love to hear exactly how this argument goes- keep us posted.
Not really an arguement, but some guy who keeps making comparisions that aren't apt to fit his view of the world.

His new favorite thing is a car that his friend has which is manual with no air, and he's comparing it to a car that is auto with air.

So my position is going to be.....throw away 25 HP for the difference, now the difference isn't so great. Not a strong position, but enough to twist him into convulsions.

The second part of his argument is that he's comparing the two, one has CNC ported heads, the other as cast. Brodix themselves stipulate that there's a 30 HP difference between the same head CNC'd or not CNC'd. So let's pile that on the final number.

So now we have 55 HP give or take that comes off the top of one car, in comparison to the other.

The funny thing is I don't care about dyno numbers as they never really tell the whole story, to a point. He lives and dies by them, which, in and of itself is amusing.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

If this is an ongoing debate between aquaintances about whose car is is faster, harder, better..you know.. , I'd offer to find a 1/4 mile track somewhere and see how it all comes out in the real world.

As this was not really a technical question, but still related to an automotive discussion, I'm moving this to the lounge

later, mikey.

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 06-14-2009, 08:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
words of wisdom,ponch
Old 06-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'm sure you guys know waymore about HP than I, but when I was a kid we found a steep hill,make our tune-up changes and run it up the hill with a stop watch,we try differnt carbs,all kinds of stuff it really helped dial a car in back then.but dynos were like some urban legend in the 70s and duel points were the sheet, us kids had to do something and do it cheap
Old 06-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
This is the FACT that most can't handle. If you go to the drags for an afternoon you find out. You see, most opinions of this kind are held by guys who have never grabbed a time slip from a booth at the end of a drag strip.

The average driver is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO inconsistent you wouldn't even measure something as small as these differences! PLUS, there are a ZILLION other factors that could effect if car A or B is faster!

The ONLY legitimate way to figure it out:

1. Test about fifty similar cars and average out the et's and MPH over about 20 passes each.

2. Using the same car run it 20 times then pull out the tranny and ac and install a 4 speed and run it 20 times under the same weather and track conditions.

It is LUDICROUS to think argue about such a small change. Hell, the average guy even after running his car many, MANY times at the drags is going to have a fluctuation of 2, 3 or even a half a second in each run! Just because of tire spin, light reaction, etc.

You would have to have an experienced bracket racer who runs within a few hundredth consistently to even perform the tests we are talking about such a small difference.

If the guy doesn't understand that, he isn't worth the argument.

I have a guy at work who has a STOCK 305 powered 67 Chevelle with a 3.00 rear. He thinks it would run 14s in the quarter. I have told him I will pay the gas to get there and the entry fee if he runs anything better than a very high 15 or even 16 second et (this track is a good three to four tenths slower than the one we had here in town).

He has never ran it, and doesn't have a clue. But that is where the argument ended. I just told him, go to the track and bring back proof you ran the 15. End of discussion.

Brian
Old 06-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
If this is an ongoing debate between aquaintances about whose car is is faster, harder, better..you know.. , I'd offer to find a 1/4 mile track somewhere and see how it all comes out in the real world.

As this was not really a technical question, but still related to an automotive discussion, I'm moving this to the lounge

later, mikey.
Mikey, you are right on, Jsup take him and his car out somewhere and settle it. Go to the track and grudge match race . Cole
Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
the average guy even after running his car many, MANY times at the drags is going to have a fluctuation of 2, 3 or even a half a second in each run! Just because of tire spin, light reaction, etc.
Reaction time will lose you the race, it will not, however change your quarter mile ET.

I'll just say this- if my car is off by 1/2 a tenth, I'm wondering why. If it's a run right after arriving and the car's not cooled down as much as usual, or if it's real humid, that could account for it.

What I'm saying is, the guys I know, know what their cars run. If they're suddenly down a tenth- let alone a HALF SECOND- they're finding out what's wrong.

What you say is true of someone who doesn't come out to the track much, like twice a season or something.
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.