Question for Barry or other chemists - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM

Last journal entry: Hood
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question for Barry or other chemists

Hey, i was hoping you could clarify something for me. I was at my local jobber today discussing ppg's envirobase line. we were in the discussion of clears, dc3000 and dc3010. VOC's came up intp the discussion as well. Are these clears polyurathane or acrylic urathane clears? He was saying that the lower the voc the better quality clear you have. Also claimed that the better clears mix 2:1 rather then 4:1 why is this? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelwagon62
Hey, i was hoping you could clarify something for me. I was at my local jobber today discussing ppg's envirobase line. we were in the discussion of clears, dc3000 and dc3010. VOC's came up intp the discussion as well. Are these clears polyurathane or acrylic urathane clears? He was saying that the lower the voc the better quality clear you have. Also claimed that the better clears mix 2:1 rather then 4:1 why is this? thanks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, not a Chemist, I'm a formulator but can still answer your question.

First for the 10,000 time, VOC's have zero relationship to quality, you can have a high quality low VOC or you can have a bottom of the barrow Low VOC clear. Also VOC's do not have a thing to do with solids, just for the record.

Most standard clears are urethane because they are easier to make as well as cheaper to make, each company usually has a high end clear that is polyurethane for all overs or special jobs, such as 2002 of PPG.

With the polyols today, the statement of 4:1 clears are of lower quality is not true like it use to be, however the lower grade clears are usually 4:1 but there are some very good ones that are 4:1 also.

The 2:1 statement is pure BS as you have room to change and play with the NCO with a 2:1. 3:1 or 1:1, along with room for blending different ISO's and more room to play with the siolids.
2:1 is more profitable to make for a so, so clear and because of that , there are a lot of them out there on the market.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Alright, i had it in my head that voc's had nothing to do with quality or solids of that matter but everytime i go to my jobber i end up getting into a 40 minute conversation with him and end up leaving asking myself if i know anything at all. So i figured i would ask someone as yourself since everytime i do talk to you weather on here or phone i learn something. Thanks Barry. (formulator)
Old 07-08-2010, 03:17 AM

Last photo:

You really can't blame the jobber as they don't know the difference, they only know what the factory rep tells them.

If you ever want valuable advice from them, then find out what the highest quality shop in town is using from them.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Last photo:

The DCU2002 PPG clear that Barry mentioned is a dynamite clear (thanks again Barry) that will give you superior results. I agree with Barry, the paint jobber for the most part does not know wht they are talking about.

Vince
Old 07-08-2010, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

Yeah I mentioned the 2002 clear to him and he didn't really speak much of it just the 3000 and 3010 clears.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

That kinda tells you what he knows, don't it.

3000 is a hyper resin clear made for production spot repairs, fast dry for in and out paint jobs. I use the same resin in one clear and one primer.

Nothing, nothing wrong with the clear but I would choke if someone used it on and allover street rod or restoration, not made for that and would not hold up well against stone chips.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

what exactly is hyper resin? What type of resins?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.