Question For Bogie. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question For Bogie.

My father has a 98 GMC Sierra with a injected 4.3 V6. Some time back, I read a article that spoke about some type of switch on these vehicles on the intake, now, I don`t know if it was true or not, but I wonder since of the circumstances. The article said, there was a switch on the intakes of these trucks that would give the truck better low end, as a dual plane intake, or, give it better high end like a open plane intake and you could put this switch to set at one or the other. Well, the truck acts like it`s got a open plane on it, it`s dead on power until it gets to 2500 RPM, then it takes off great. If you kick it to floor, it acts as a open plane, it really screams at WOT. In overdrive crusing at 1800 RPM the slightest incline causes it to go back to third gear. Does such a "switch" exist on these trucks? If it does I`d like to find it and make it act like a dual plane intake instead of a open.
The truck has a modified throttle body, the restrictor was removed. I replaced the injection spider last year, it has spiral core spark plug wires, a K&N air filter, a High flow cat and turbo muffler. I also installed a timing chain on it 2 years back as I read the factory timing set was set retarded to reduce the low end torque. Replaceing the timing chain and all the other mods really helped power wise, but it still acts like it has a open plane intake. Low end power is weak, high end is great. I`ll also point out it`s always been like this ever since he`s had it, before I did the mods the thing was so gutless in the low end it was pathetic. Thanks for any insight on this subject.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 PM
More for Less Racer

My parents have had four of these engines in 4-door S-10 Blazers and Jimmy's, all four had power just like you describe, gutless down low and downshift at cruise on even the slightest upgrade. We came to the conclusion "engine too small and trucks weigh too much", the 305 V8 would have been a better power source, and probably the same or better gas mileage. These 4.3's in anything heavy are slow, gas hogs - huffing and puffing in anything over 3600lbs. Didn't seem to matter if it was SFI or MFI injecton.

Curious to know anything about a switch but I think this is more likly an Urban myth. Seems too incredibly easy to be true
Old 03-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I agree it likely isn`t true, but I asked as I would love to have the answer to the engines severe lack of low end torque. A friend of mine had a 95 chevy 1500 4X4 with a 305 and I absolutely loved the low end power it had. Dad`s truck is a extended cab so yes it`s heavy, and the fuel economy isn`t very great. However, after I built and did mods to the 4.3 in my 92 chevy pickup, it`s got torque like gangbusters in the low end ranges, but it`s dead on top thanks to TBI and swirl vane heads but I don`t mind it being dead on top, on the street I like low end power.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.