Hot Rod Forum banner

Question for the Chevy guys on CPP steering box.

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  60tbirdrick 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Classic Performance Products (CPP) 500 Series power steering box? I am trying to find an alternative to my Gearheads modified 605 box and think I have something here. The CPP box is for a 55-57 Chevy and the sector shaft is the same length. Basically it has the same dimensions as my 605. The only difference is one of the mounting holes is off a little but I can just drill another hole in the frame to fix this and weld up the original hole. It sits on the frame in the same position as the 605. I also have to use a 56 ford steering sector arm because of the design of the teeth. (It a perfect fit) This arm is the exact same shape as the 60 T-bird arm with exception of the teeth. I am a diehard Carlisle nut and was able to piece this together without too much hassle. Also, these boxes are new and not rebuilt.
I am sure everything will sit in its proper position as the original but I just wanted some feedback on the CPP box. Thanks.

#2 ·
They are still in development of that box.

I am not completely happy with my 605, but not for the same reasons
that you and Grandpaw are.

The applications they are now working on is the 58-64 Chev full size.

In fact--I just called them Friday to find out when they were to be available.

I was told that they were shooting for May-June

And yes---there is more than one person there that is aware of my "issues" with this box.-----and it does wander a bit----not drastic
I have not experienced binding with it though.

Bryan

55-57 chev seems to be the only application so far.

#3 ·
This box has been out for awhile now. I bought one about six months ago. They seem very rugged and well built. Only paid $380.00 (show price) which is a lot better than the $820.00 crap from Gearheads. I just have not had a chance to put it in yet because I have to pull the motor so I can drill the hole in the frame. There must be some 55-57 owners out there with this box that can give some input. Here is a picture of the 500 series box along with the modified 605 box.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.