question on the CLEAR TEST - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2006, 07:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Who is that goofy big lug in the reflection. Color, I hear bondo is a pretty big dude, I'd make sure to stay on his good side
But if he can put up with Jim(dad) all the time without getting angry, he must be a big ole teddy bear at heart.
I normally try to use the coarsest grit on anything I can get away with, just feel that it would make it better against chips ect in the future. I am not doubting you at all, but man 320 does sound coarse. Could you sand before base that coarse? I never heard anyone recommend much more then 400 before basecoat cause it may not fill in the scratches and be magnified by the clear. Could you sand with 320, fix a spot with base before you do your reclear also, or is this only reclearing the panel, spraying no color.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have sprayed SPI bases over 320 DA sanding and had it come out smooth. I have also done it with SW one time, but was kind of nervous with that one, as I didn't pay for the paint.

There is a diffeence between spraying more clear over 320 scratches in clear, and spraying clear over base that has 320 scratches showing.

Aaron
Old 11-14-2006, 04:43 AM

Last photo:

My mind kinda drifted. 320 machine dry is about the same is 400 wet. I've wetsanded before base with 400 without problems. But hand sanding with 320 dry is suppose to be coarser. But still goes against everything you were taught, when doing a repair on the panel, the places that would only recieve clear were sanded finer then where your repair area is and will be receiving more base.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:48 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I dry sand my clear with 3M 320 guys... I also have dry sanded epoxy or primer before base and clear without issue... Most are scared of the number, just like years ago they myth was taught you had to use 1000 to sand for a re clear.. The myth has been broken and still yet. people refuse to believe what is real and what is not... It is a matter of choice gentlemen... Use whatever grit you want... I use what Barry has proven to work and what I have trusted and proven to work myself... Try a test panel for yourself ya'll instead of just wondering and saying " it just cant be so".. Barry has been painting for 37 years, he owns his own paint company, he makes his paint, he has his chemistry degree... well you get the point....

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.