A question on coils - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 10:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

A question on coils

Converting 1950 ford to 12 volt system, since I will put a ballast resistor on the ignition side of the coil to drop the voltage from 12 volts to 6 volts.

My question is
Do I have to get a 12 volt coil or can I still use the stock 6 volt coil?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Coil

Doc Here,

Let me see If I have this correct, You have a 6 volt system, that has been upgraded to 12 volts, with a 6 volt coil and ballast correct?

If this is the case, Then yes, go to the 12 volt coil.

The reason is even with the ballast resistor, while the 6 volt may work (for awhile) the windings of the coil (internal resistance) is lower than that of the 12 volt coil.

This will produce more current draw, ergo, more heat, the coil will eventually break down. The output of the coil will be slightly higher than it needs to be which will put stress on the points over time.

Also remember , The Ballast Resistor was made to drop current at 6 volts not 12 volts. The load through a resistor at 6 volts is quite different than the load through a resistor at 12 volts (Ohms Law)

You Can get away with running the 6 volt coil, no doubt, but it can lead to unwanted surprises later on down the road. And for, What, 15 bucks or so...for a 12 volt coil...It Is a lot cheaper than the price of a hook home some dark winter's night.

I would upgrade the coil and ballast to 12 volts were it me. OR get a system dropping resistor and install it to drop the voltage to 6 volts BEFORE it gets to the coil and Ballast (as if the system was still running at 6 volts) But I think you may find the price of that big ceramic resistor is about the same price as a new 12 volt coil and ballast. So if it's the ONLY thing you need to run a 6 volts, I'd just change out the coil.

Hope it helps!

Doc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.