Question for Deuce, details on bent 32... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 03:03 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question for Deuce, details on bent 32...

To quote an ongoing thread that I don't want to mess up...

Quote:
... you never know how many times the 32 was treated to a " Dukes of Hazzard " style of ditch jumping. I had a nice original frame from a 32 4 door ( 42,000 mile nice old car ) and the frame was off almost 1/2 inch at the cowl on the right side. Had to tie the chassis down, heat the general area of the frame rail with a rose bud and then use hydraulic power to bend the chassis rail back up to spec. The chassis was not yet boxed.
My latest frame is an OLD school rod frame that sat for 50 years I'd bet. The driver rail is bent at least 3/4" just by eye with a straightedge, comparing sides. It is bent almost at the firewall, EXACTLY where the 2 side rivets hold the front leg of the K. I found it hard to believe it bent where the K brace equals double frame thickness? I've set up a beam, chains & jack, but would rather ask first

They boxed the rails AFTER it was bent I cut out the plate from the front K brace, to the steering side hole for the stock pitman. There is slightly "bunched up waves" on the top surface, but not too much on the side. But you can really notice a sharp angle bend on the bottom flange where it should be a straight taper downwards towards the rear.

Should I cut loose that front K brace (all the rivets) BEFORE I heat & jack? I can see doing it either way should work. The K will be removed for good after I set up suspensions & temporary frame cross bracing. I'd hate to take it out right now. My body has no reference mounting holes, and I want to do sills & floors first.

Where/how much, did you heat? As a guess, I'd try not to get the bottom flange too hot, but a 4" long red spot on top flange, tapering down the side, to the lower flange?

I know you take lots of pics???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Tough call ...

There are good sets of 1932 Ford frame blueprints on eBay ... I believe I would just cut everything away and get down to a bare pair of rails. The frame is just like a foundation for a house. I understand not wanting to cut it.

I like running the original rails with the number on them ... stamped by Henry Ford's crew ... especially if I have a good valid title that matches that number. The time is coming ... IMHO ... when those numbers may really mean something. In North Carolina now ... the DOT has been out checking older cars for serial/vin numbers because of the influx of NY state registrations and folks trying to register glass cars as 32 Fords.

Just my nickel.

If you look closely on my 32 3W rails ... you can see a little ripple in the right frame rail near where the hood would be Easy FIX ...

No photos of bending the right frame rail on the 4 door chassis ... it was a few years back and I did not own a digital camera at the time.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Last edited by Deuce; 06-04-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm not tearing down right now for 2 reasons.

First & most important, is that I can't go an inch further on saving the tired old body until I get a straight platform that measures out to the Wescott PDF. I love doing the metalwork and I couldn't even try out the Spadaro rear floor due to the orig chassis having coil pockets too high up.

The 2nd reason (for doing some suspension now) is making the project a roller to bring into the work area quickly when I get spare time. Then if I can finally rough in which old ford parts are going to be used, I can get rid of the TONS of other ones I am tripping over

I really look forward to doing some major structural body stuff soon, before I go nuts with other life obligations.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.