Question on early Ford front hubs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Question on early Ford front hubs

In my Mysterion reproduction project I have come to the point of building the front end. I need two early Ford hubs but I am confused. I thought they were all the same (I know nothing about early Fords) but found there are at least 3 styles.

Here is a picture (the best one I could find - not much exists about this car unfortunately).

Here are a couple photos of hubs I have found. The red one on the left has a smaller rim OD, slightly larger hub ODs (like 1/16") and larger rear bearing although the dust seal is the same OD as the other two hubs shown. The two (middle and right) others are similar in flange diameter and rer bearing size (small OD than the red one.). All could work but from the first picture I think I need the one on the right.

My questions are;

Do you Ford experts agree that I need on the right with the raised bolt bosses and straight rear hub diameter?

If so does anyone have a set that could be chromed (EVERYTHING on the Mysterion is chromed!) that they would well or trade for a set of the red hubs? I have a super clean set of the redo ones w/ good lugs and bearing races.

Also if someone can use the other two rusty hubs (right one is in good shape, middle one is heavily rust pitted around rim, hubs and bearing races good on both) I will gladly give them to you, you pay shipping cost.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

no luck.

You will probably be able to search the answer or ask on the HAMB forums.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but I commend you on your passion for accuracy. That makes all the difference in the world! All these tiny facts are what makes the whole. If they are neglected an accurate reproduction can not be done.

To me it looks most like the red hubs as the actually wheel moulding flange is very thick with a beveled edge. I am thinking that it could have even been spun cut a little and polished for plating and that is why you see that other sharp edge near the center. But that bevel on the edge most certainly looks most like the red one.

Brian
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I don't have an answer for you but I commend you on your passion for accuracy. That makes all the difference in the world! All these tiny facts are what makes the whole. If they are neglected an accurate reproduction can not be done.

Brian
Thanx Martin. Yes it doesn't seem like these details matter but they sure do. I have studied the this car down to the last nut and bolt for which there is evidence in the literature. It existed for so little time there are scarce quality pictures available. I am making some compromises but can't figure a way around them. A whole lot needs to be made up from scratch since there is zero info on it. Hopefully they won't be deal killers. For example I am hollowing out the right engine and will put an alternator and AC compressor inside there, run from a belt drive from the running left engine. Also I am building a 2X4 steel tube inner frame so the thing should be drivable w/o falling apart. The outer frame will be just a bolt-on facade.

An interesting detail I have discovered; Ed installed the tie-rod ball joints (20 on the car!) with the rubber seal cups on backward! Lots and Lots of strange little things like that on the car.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

brake hubs

Somewhere I read an article on identifying Ford brake hubs.spindles Etc. some mount the drum on the outside and some on the inside. I should have printed it out for future reference. I have a 46 lincoln front axle out of a hay wagon, a 40's Ford. axle from a trailer, and model A axle, and fined buick front brakes. Ford F 1 axle and extra F1 spindles. some pieces adapt better than others.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com View Post
Thanx Martin. Yes it doesn't seem like these details matter but they sure do. I have studied the this car down to the last nut and bolt for which there is evidence in the literature. It existed for so little time there are scarce quality pictures available. I am making some compromises but can't figure a way around them. A whole lot needs to be made up from scratch since there is zero info on it. Hopefully they won't be deal killers. For example I am hollowing out the right engine and will put an alternator and AC compressor inside there, run from a belt drive from the running left engine. Also I am building a 2X4 steel tube inner frame so the thing should be drivable w/o falling apart. The outer frame will be just a bolt-on facade.

An interesting detail I have discovered; Ed installed the tie-rod ball joints (20 on the car!) with the rubber seal cups on backward! Lots and Lots of strange little things like that on the car.

Very interesting! I can't wait to see it in process.

Brian

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.