Hot Rod Forum banner

Question on early Ford front hubs

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
In my Mysterion reproduction project I have come to the point of building the front end. I need two early Ford hubs but I am confused. I thought they were all the same (I know nothing about early Fords) but found there are at least 3 styles.

Here is a picture (the best one I could find - not much exists about this car unfortunately).

Here are a couple photos of hubs I have found. The red one on the left has a smaller rim OD, slightly larger hub ODs (like 1/16") and larger rear bearing although the dust seal is the same OD as the other two hubs shown. The two (middle and right) others are similar in flange diameter and rer bearing size (small OD than the red one.). All could work but from the first picture I think I need the one on the right.

My questions are;

Do you Ford experts agree that I need on the right with the raised bolt bosses and straight rear hub diameter?

If so does anyone have a set that could be chromed (EVERYTHING on the Mysterion is chromed!) that they would well or trade for a set of the red hubs? I have a super clean set of the redo ones w/ good lugs and bearing races.

Also if someone can use the other two rusty hubs (right one is in good shape, middle one is heavily rust pitted around rim, hubs and bearing races good on both) I will gladly give them to you, you pay shipping cost.

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't have an answer for you but I commend you on your passion for accuracy. That makes all the difference in the world! All these tiny facts are what makes the whole. If they are neglected an accurate reproduction can not be done. :thumbup:

To me it looks most like the red hubs as the actually wheel moulding flange is very thick with a beveled edge. I am thinking that it could have even been spun cut a little and polished for plating and that is why you see that other sharp edge near the center. But that bevel on the edge most certainly looks most like the red one.

Brian

#4 ·
I don't have an answer for you but I commend you on your passion for accuracy. That makes all the difference in the world! All these tiny facts are what makes the whole. If they are neglected an accurate reproduction can not be done. :thumbup:

Brian
Thanx Martin. Yes it doesn't seem like these details matter but they sure do. I have studied the this car down to the last nut and bolt for which there is evidence in the literature. It existed for so little time there are scarce quality pictures available. I am making some compromises but can't figure a way around them. A whole lot needs to be made up from scratch since there is zero info on it. Hopefully they won't be deal killers. For example I am hollowing out the right engine and will put an alternator and AC compressor inside there, run from a belt drive from the running left engine. Also I am building a 2X4 steel tube inner frame so the thing should be drivable w/o falling apart. The outer frame will be just a bolt-on facade.

An interesting detail I have discovered; Ed installed the tie-rod ball joints (20 on the car!) with the rubber seal cups on backward! Lots and Lots of strange little things like that on the car.

#5 ·
brake hubs

Somewhere I read an article on identifying Ford brake hubs.spindles Etc. some mount the drum on the outside and some on the inside. I should have printed it out for future reference. I have a 46 lincoln front axle out of a hay wagon, a 40's Ford. axle from a trailer, and model A axle, and fined buick front brakes. Ford F 1 axle and extra F1 spindles. some pieces adapt better than others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.