Question on Edelbrock carburetor rebuild kits. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question on Edelbrock carburetor rebuild kits.

Hello guys I just got a 750 edelbrock performer off of ebay for 60 bucks and I was going to get a rebuild kit for it but I have not gotten one before nor have I ever rebuilt a edelbrock carb. First of all does these kits come with everything to rebuild it too like new condition or is there a few other things to buy with it? Also is it very hard to do a edelbrock rebuild? After a carb is rebuild does it usually make it just like brand new again to some degree or just really helps freshen it up and thats about it. Thanks for any info.
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Last photo:

First off, a carb of of Ebay would make me cringe. There has got to be something wrong with it for them to place it on Ebay. You have one strike against you already, not knowing the history of the carb. You need to get a master rebuild kit and soak that carb in carb cleaner over night. Rinse it in water then blow out all passages with compressed air.

I am not familiar with Edelbrock kits because I run Holley's, but I did mess with quite a few Carter AFB's in high school and we had the best luck with Borg Warner rebuild kits.

Vince
Old 05-12-2009, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
...After a carb is rebuild does it usually make it just like brand new again to some degree or just really helps freshen it up and thats about it. Thanks for any info.
Eric
Eric, a rebuild kit generally freshens up a carb. I havent found anything that will make them like new. One thing you need to look for in a used carb is warpage that might cause vacuum leaks. Also, clean it very well (like mentioned above) and be sure to blow out all the passages with air.
IMO cleaning it well is more important than the brand of rebuild kit used.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

That is what I figured about the rebuild kits. I will try to check for warpage etc but what all do I have to make sure that I take out while I let it soak overnight in carb cleaner? I know I just can't dunk it in as is cause I will have to take the top off and gaskets off I know that much but is there anything inside to have to take out? I planed on a edelbrock kit from summit along with a new accelerator pump and ims screws.
Eric
Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 PM

Last journal entry: Journal Update
Last photo:

The Edelbrock carbs are nothing more than glorified Carter AFB's and AVS's (depending on the model you have). There are books and videos available on the internet. A quick search with google using edelbrock carburetor rebuild turned up a bunch of things. Here's a couple links to check out.

Carb Rebuild - Edelbrock 600 CFM - Do's and Dont's

The Carburetor Doctor

Google Searh using edelbrock carburetor rebuild

Hope that helps.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 PM

edlebrock carb

the edlebrockk carb is actually one of the easier 4-barrel carbs to rebuild. just be sure the upper secondary butterfly isn't upside down when tou get through, it won't run right, the secondaries won't open up if it is inverted.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

The edelbrock is a really easy carb to rebuild, the edelbrock kit comes with the float settings, and you can get the stock jetting from edelbrock's website to make sure no one has changed them from the base setting. you can also verify the spring color relative to vacuum opening from the website, the only problems with a e-bay edelbrock carb, is they are aluminum,so water will destroy them if allowed to sit inside the carb, and the butterfly shafts can become bent with max abuse(look that the butterflies -both primary and secondary,open at the exact same time-meaning the 2 primary butterflies open together,and then the secondary butterflies open together.) other than being corroded or re-jetted to try and make a much larger or smaller carb with the wrong jets,springs or metering rods than the body is capable of, dirt is the only other concern. they are really a quite simple carb that works well in many applications They are an updated version of a carter a.f.b. or the new version is in reality an updated version of a carter wcfb.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:15 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

Is it manual choke or electric? Here's a link to some repair parts you might need.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...700+4294919007

Inspect it and when it doubt throw it out...and replace the part.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

Hello the carb is manual choke. I took it apart over the weekend and everything looks in good order. I sprayed it down with carb cleaner and let it sit overnight and sprayed it again Sunday. The butterflys look good and they both work as they should. No signs of warpage or anything. I did order a new gasket set, ims screws, and a new acclerator pump. Everything else looked good and I felt they did not need replaced. The floats are in good shape and I have new metering rods and springs to go with it along with my old tuning manual. I shold be good to go after my parts arrive. Thanks guys for help. This was quite easy to rebuild without taking the entire thing apart.
Eric

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.