Question on electric fuel pumps and fuel cells. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 08:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Who makes a good quality electric inline fuel pump?

Hello guys went to work today and my electric fuel pump went to crap on me and stranded me and almost made me late for work. Ok I have a 96 s 10 with a carbuerated v8 so I have been using a Mr Gasket $40 fuel pump inline electric from a local autoparts store. I have went through three in the last year and they don't seem to last long. Is there a good quality electric fuel pump that I would be able to get it to last me for at leats several years with no issues? I was looking at the ones from summit and jegs that run around 80 bucks. Are they any good? Just need a decent inline electric fuel pump for a mild performance 350 v8 with a carbuerator. The people who owned this truck before me put the pump on the transmmission crossmember wich to me is to far from the fuel tank and makes it work harder is does it matter where it sits? Thanks for any input.
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

Question on electric fuel pumps and fuel cells.

Hello guys got stranded today because my Mr Gasket universal inline electric fuel pump took a crap on me on my way to work. The thing only costs around 40 bucks so I know they are not the best since I have been through two in the last year. Ok I was looking for a new pump to get soon and was looking at the 80 dollar inline fuel pumps from jegs and summit under there name brand. Are they any good? I want an electric fuel pump that will last me for several years and get my money worth out of it. I don't want to have to buy a new fuel pump every 6 months. This is a 96 chevy s10 with a 350 v8 with a carbuerator. The pumps I was looking at are for carbs. The people who owned it before me put the pump on the transmisson crossmember and is that to far from the fuel tank and is the reason whey they keep going bad on me on these Mr gasket pumps? I can get a new summit one or jegs and they are a more performanace type electric fuel pump but if I mount it close to my tank if will sit up a little higher then where my line come out. Also need to replace my gas tank anyways its rusting out. Can a fuel cell fit underneath this thing buy chance? I don't want to have to pay 300 bucks for the plastic sendind unit and another 200 plus bucks for a new metal tank when I can get a fuel cell with a sending unit from summit for around 150 bucks. I don't want to fit it in my bed cause I still use my truck to haul stuff. Its just a 2wd and would still like to be able to fill it from the side. Can this be done?
Eric
Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

sorry about double post windows vista froze on me.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 PM
More for Less Racer

Carter also makes a inline electric that is quieter than the Holley style. Mallory makes some of the nicest quiet electrics, but they are more expensive. The Jeg's and Summit pumps are Holley style pumps, kinda noisy but work just fine.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

Cool that sound good. I will try one the next time around once this one quits on me. Cheers
Eric
Old 05-09-2009, 09:49 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
Unless you have a working pump in the fuel tank, you will want to mount your electric pump as close to the fuel tank as possible,
I have been using an MSD pump now for three years w/o any problems, but my pump is for FI, you would need one for a carb.
Good luck,
Rich
Old 05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

howdy there

why dont you just put a mechanical pump on the engine ?

a stock pump would be fine IMHO.

what year is the 350 engine ?

good luck
Old 05-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Jr 1948

Last journal entry: frame painted and motor is in
Last photo:

for the fuel cell maybe u could either put it wear the spare tire usually goes are get one of those tall wide narrow cells and put it wear the original was maybe just a thought
Old 05-10-2009, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

Well I would use a mechanical pump but I have the late model 350 vortec block and it does not have the provision for a mechanical pump thus I have to use the electric one. I will have too see if I can get a fuel cell like the one you mentioned. Thanks guys for info. I can't use the fuel pump in the tank cause I am using a carb not Fuel injection.
Eric
Old 05-10-2009, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

elc fuel pumps

have a carter on my 302 in 32ford it is 3 years old, car would not start problem was the fuel filter on the carb side,as fuel pump 3to4 psi it could not get past filter, yes i know filter should be on suction side
Old 05-10-2009, 11:36 PM

Last photo:

I agree with what was posted above, the electric fuel pump is too far away from the tank. It should be mounted as close to the tank as possible, since the electric pumps work better as pushers than as pullers.

Another option is to use the stock FI pump in the tank with a few modifications to the fuel system. You should be able to use the stock FI fuel pump in the tank if you run a carburetor style bypass fuel pressure regulator.

Here's an example.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...&view=1&N=700+

Using something like this should allow you to use the stock fuel injection fuel pump and still have the carbureted engine. You'll need a return line at least the same size as the supply line from the pump to the regulator to return the bypassed fuel back to the pump, but this style regulator will bump the line pressure from the 50 or so from the stock pump down to about 7 for your carb'd application.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Check this setup out:

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...uel_Pump_Mount
Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 PM

On my fullsize i run my fuel cell in the bed, and run two fuel systems, one for the nitrous, and one for the carb. I run holley blue pumps and mount them on the frame rail right beneth the tank. No problems, they are noisy but i dont mind it and you can barely hear it when your driving, not bad at all. Been running the holley blue since 05 with no problems, make sure you use a regulator though. Also i do not run a return on either systems and no problems!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Well I was thinking about what it would take to put on a fuel cell etc. I will keep my old fuel tank where it is and just have to cough up the cash for a stupid sending unit and a new lock ring for it cause my old one is rotted away. I will then get a summit or jegs pump for 80 bucks and mount it as close to the tank as possible. Would be a lot less headache for me that way. The cheap Mr gasket universal pumps are junk. I did not even have a thousand miles on my last pump before it went bad. Paid 40 bucks for it and its not worth 4 bucks in my opinion. It says on paper will give you years of trouble free performance, yeah right. Thanks for help guys will maybe try the carter pump since it come with a bracket etc. That will help out.
Eric
Old 05-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

I've been running that mr gasket pump for over a year, the first one was bad but not the 2nd one. Make SURE there is a filter BEFORE the pump, especially where you say the tank is rusty. If there is no filter before the pump then i would say that is your problem

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.