Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question for guys from 50s and 60s re: appearence
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
I think one of the contributing factors as to why CRW's were popular was the comparative cost to the buyer. CRW's were cheap and Americans, Cragers, Ansons weren't.
BB is correct. I graduated HS in '63. I ran spinner hubcaps because they were affordable. Would have loved to have been able to afford chrome reversed but did not have the money. I knew there was no way I would ever be able to afford the new "mag" wheels that were coming out. All three are period correct but were usually chosen based on budget, not the cool factor.

Most of the guys today are trying to achieve the period correct look as they perceive it it be. Not as it really was. That does not bother me though. If they want to roll their jeans up, why not? If they think flat black is cool, fine. But the truth is, the only reason we ever ran primer was because paint cost money we didn't have!

One other thing to consider; What was "in" where I grew up in Louisville, Ky. may have been completely different in Detroit or L.A. I saw styles change very quickly. For example, suspensions went from lowered in the rear to lowered on all 4 corners to "California rakes" within a period of about 3 years.

John L