Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question for guys from 50s and 60s re: appearence
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've had the same garter belt hanging from the rear view mirror on my main rod for the last 35 yrs. It came off my wife's leg when we got married, and just recently moved it from my '71 Camaro to the Austin gasser.

We used to put garter belts around our Sun tachs or whatever brand tach you had. Never owned or wanted to own fuzzy dice, or dingle balls hanging from my window trim either.
We had a car rolled and pleated in Mexico, and not cow dung used, but the pleats went flat pretty fast. They used rolled up newspapers to fill the pleats.
Most the guys I ran with were performance oriented, so what we added to our cars were things to emulate the cars we saw at the drags. Big huge white ladder bars were way cool, as were white fenderwell headers. A roll bar (whether you needed it or not) was over the top back then! I had a black '55 Chevy gasser I built with every race item I could hang on it to make it look like a strip car. Chrome straight axle, ladder bars, roll bar, fenderwell headers. It was pretty quick, but nearly as fast as it looked!
Some guys painted everything white under the car! Inner fenderwells, rearends, headers, suspension. Rarely looked good after a few weeks without constant touch up.
14" tires were popular once all the new cars came with 14", and many guys wanted to "update" their cars to the new stuff. We used to do the poor man's redline tires when they first appeared on the scene, using a red tire crayon and spinning the tire while we held it against the sidewall. My first car was a '57 Chevy Belaire and I had 2" whitewalls with chrome reverse all around in 1966. It was very cool until the redline tires showed up, and I had to get the whitewalls reversed inside to do the redline thing. Nobody wanted wide whites back then, (looked too old to us) but narrower 1"-2" whitewalls were great.
Car fads changed so quickly back in the 60's that it was tough to keep up on a working guy's budget. The 70's weren't much better with the advent of factory muscle cars that could beat most of our built up hotrods. We all wanted the latest hot engines that came in the muscle cars, but most guys just added the emblems on their fenders and ran their old 283 or whatever. I remember guys getting the crossed flags with 396 logo and putting them on various tri 5 Chevys. Or getting the "fuel injection" emblems from Corvettes and adding that to their 4 brl. cars. Lots of posers in my high school parking lot. One guy's dad was pretty wealthy and he got a new Chevelle SS 327 4 speed in 1965. Then later that year Chevy brought out the SS 396 in the '65 Chevelle and his dad wouldn't replace his, so he just got the emblems for his 327 Chevelle.
And those dreaded rally wheels that came along in the 60's Chevys have been on my '71 Camaro since I got it in 1973. Had the rears widened, and changed the center caps, but just always liked them better than the later rally wheels mine came with. As have the old fender flares I added in 1974.