Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question for guys from 50s and 60s re: appearence
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane View Post
I know this is an old thread but I have read the whole thing and I didn't see where anyone had what I did on my first car. When I turned 15 I got my first car, a 53 chev. 2 dr. I worked in a junk yard so I got a GMC engine 6cyl to replace the 6 in it. Then what no one has mention was scavenger pipes. I put them on in 59, I had seen a car in Hot Rod or some other Mag. and thought they were cool. I had a big rake on the car, running 14" on front and 15" on back. I don't remember what size the rear ones were but they were huge. When you looked at the back of the car all you saw was 6 chrome pipes with 4 red balls with a little chain holding them together.

When I got out of the Navy, I bought a 63 SS/409/425 horse and it had chrome wheels. in 68 I got my first new car, a 68 "Hemi" Charger R/T I put CRW on it I still have the little stock hub caps that came on the car.

Bob
They were big when I was in high school Bob. About 1961 there was a black 56 Ford station wagon that sat on a sever rake with gold scallops and 4 scavanger pipes coming out inder the rear end equally spaced. Accross the tailgate he had the name Wells Fargo incorperated into the gold scallops. It used to cruise the Fricshe's Big Boy in St. Matthews which is a suburb of Louisville. In those days it was unusual to see a show quality car on the street. It sure was cool.

I think one of the things most people don't realize is the best cars on the road in those days would only be average today.

John