Question for guys from 50s and 60s re: appearence - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Some guys just like the look of chrome wheels so I still see them on some of the older cars..One of the things about steering design is that it is desirable to have the center of the tire as close as possible to the centerline of the kingpin or ball joints as possible..when we reverse the wheel it moves the center of the tire out away from the steering axis and makes the steering a bit harder..you really find out about this on a car with manual steering..

Sam

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Good points by all; and I appreciate the information.
Its kind of foreign for me to hear 'cragar' and 'expensive'. In my generation, that was the cost effective wheel. That or repurposed stock rims, like IROC rims on S-10 pickups. Now a set of 4 rims can go for 4grand or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
I think one of the contributing factors as to why CRW's were popular was the comparative cost to the buyer. CRW's were cheap and Americans, Cragers, Ansons weren't.
BB is correct. I graduated HS in '63. I ran spinner hubcaps because they were affordable. Would have loved to have been able to afford chrome reversed but did not have the money. I knew there was no way I would ever be able to afford the new "mag" wheels that were coming out. All three are period correct but were usually chosen based on budget, not the cool factor.

Most of the guys today are trying to achieve the period correct look as they perceive it it be. Not as it really was. That does not bother me though. If they want to roll their jeans up, why not? If they think flat black is cool, fine. But the truth is, the only reason we ever ran primer was because paint cost money we didn't have!

One other thing to consider; What was "in" where I grew up in Louisville, Ky. may have been completely different in Detroit or L.A. I saw styles change very quickly. For example, suspensions went from lowered in the rear to lowered on all 4 corners to "California rakes" within a period of about 3 years.

John L
Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

"Chrome Reverse and Baby Moons" were pretty popular in Southern Saskatchewan (where I grew up) In the early-to-mid 70's, and were in many of the speed shop flyers.

I think they were pretty popular because (as someone else said) they were an inexpesive alternative to Mags, like the Cragar SS's and the Keystone Klassic spokes (loved the look of those)

But yes ... I recall seeing lots of cars, like the GTX and Sport Fury's wearing Chrome reverse. I think they looked best on the bigger cars ... not so much on the "pony" cars.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

The hot set-up was reversed Buick rims on Ford centers if you ran a 5.5 BC.

We had guys running chrome wheels back in the 50's/early 60's in Milwaukee. There was a shop called Murray Metal Plating where plenty of high school kids worked to make some $$ and they were allowed to chrome anything they wanted after hours...FREE!

Can you imagine a 15 year old working in a plating shop today? My God what a stink THAT would make!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
BB is correct. I graduated HS in '63. I ran spinner hubcaps because they were affordable. Would have loved to have been able to afford chrome reversed but did not have the money. I knew there was no way I would ever be able to afford the new "mag" wheels that were coming out. All three are period correct but were usually chosen based on budget, not the cool factor.

Most of the guys today are trying to achieve the period correct look as they perceive it it be. Not as it really was. That does not bother me though. If they want to roll their jeans up, why not? If they think flat black is cool, fine. But the truth is, the only reason we ever ran primer was because paint cost money we didn't have!

One other thing to consider; What was "in" where I grew up in Louisville, Ky. may have been completely different in Detroit or L.A. I saw styles change very quickly. For example, suspensions went from lowered in the rear to lowered on all 4 corners to "California rakes" within a period of about 3 years.

John L
Well said John!
I get a chuckle out of guys today building "traditional" rods, or telling me what was correct for the 60's. Seems they know what we did back then better than we do! Sometimes I wonder if I'm getting CRS, because they remember things I don't and I was there.
The biggest complaint I have is also the primer and rust that guys seem to either endorse or leave as is. We would have been embrassed to leave either on a car any longer than it took to save the money to get rid of it. I'd have rather had a cheap paint job back in the 60's than to run around with primer or rust.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

You are right 71BB. I was at the Sonic last night and my friend, Melvin Davis was chuckling about his 41 Ford hub caps on his red 33 Ford. He said "you know I like those hub caps and a lot of guys run them but back in the day we wouldn't have been caught dead with them on our car", How true. Even so, today they look good.

John L

Old 07-17-2012, 11:51 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Some guys might not know it but the hot set up back then was to run 14" wheels not 15s. CR wheels were affordable, looked good, and could be had in 14" size w/good width (like 7"). Made them a natural. A set of baby moons could cost as much as the CR wheels, but that was a good look IMHO.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

Maybe its 2 lane blacktop; but I always thought CR's were a west coast thing really. I never saw many here on the East Coast; aside from one guy with a 78 camaro, CR's, fender flares, babymoons and disco paint. Oh the horror; but he LOVES it so that's good.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Something not mentioned was the chrome plating could cause hydrogen embrittlement. That's one reason a lot of guys wouldn't run chromed front axles, etc. Done correctly there's no real issue, but a lot of those wheels were chromed south of the border and people just weren't as quality conscious as we are today.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 PM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Something not mentioned was the chrome plating could cause hydrogen embrittlement. That's one reason a lot of guys wouldn't run chromed front axles, etc. Done correctly there's no real issue, but a lot of those wheels were chromed south of the border and people just weren't as quality conscious as we are today.
I kinda doubt that anyone even knew what hydrogen embrittlement was in the 60s, or even cared for that matter. I know I wouldn't have back then.
Although my 55 had Cragers in ~67, it was only because I had them already. If it didn't make the car go faster, I didn't spend the money on it. We didn't have the money to spend with our $2.25hr jobs. $1,200.00 in the motor + red/white metalflake interior (women loved those slick seats ) and black primer worked fine for me. I sure miss that car.

Russ
Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

Hydrogen Embrittlement is something to consider; although lots of guys swiss cheesed everything they could, ran suicide front ends and 40 juice brakes with bias plies.....Not safe by today's standards. No way Id run a cast front axle today. If I had to; no way it would be drilled. Hell 'hairpin' front ends make me nervous (saw the aftermath of a budget setup that broke after the guy hit a pothole at 35mph).

Lets modify the discussion:
Aside from the obvious ratrodz with their CARtoon proportions; what are some things you genuine " 'ol skool" folks just never saw then that seems to have morphed into 'fact' today?

As posted above by John Long 41 ford caps on steelies wasn't something that was done in HIS area. Are there some things that are just universal rules?

Last edited by AutoGear; 07-18-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM
WFO

Last photo:

While those cheesy fuzzy dice were available, no one I knew hung them from their mirror. A garter was another thing altogether... and I don't think they were all from weddings
Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

Ive never seen pictures from around here of cars with curb feelers, compasses, 'swamp coolers' or even a lot of continental kits. Im assuming some of that was regional; I know a guy who is 67 and his parents had a swamp cooler for their car, but they lived in AZ

Last edited by AutoGear; 07-18-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Some guys might not know it but the hot set up back then was to run 14" wheels not 15s. CR wheels were affordable, looked good, and could be had in 14" size w/good width (like 7"). Made them a natural. A set of baby moons could cost as much as the CR wheels, but that was a good look IMHO.

Though I don't remember seeing the "smoothie" style wheel like that until the seventies. The wheels were "Chromed, reversed" wheels from a stock car and the stock steel wheels on production cars weren't that smoothie style.

Brian

Tags
nostalgia, old school

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.