Question for HK? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2002, 05:32 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Question for HK?

So can any paint be used to powder coat? Is it a special kind or brand? Can body parts be powder coated in any color? I wonder if like the sheet metal on the trike project could be powder coat ed in a perl? Is that done? I`m thinking with the road chips that a bike suffers, if powder coating the sheet metal would be smart. What can you teach me HK?
Thanks
Slider in Wa.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2002, 06:50 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

while your waiting on the MAN, check this out
and click on Powder coatEastwood

[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: crazy larry ]</p>
Old 11-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Powder coating is a special process that fuses a pigmented powder to metal through and electric charge and high tempreture bake. Yes there are MANY different colors and styles of application. You can choose from many different colors from solids to metalics to transparent colors or custom mixed colors. There are a few different shops that specialize in custom powdercoating like pearls and graphics and textured colors. There has been a many different motorcycles featured with custom powdercoated sheetmetal and polished parts in many of the bike magazines. The custom powdercoating isn't cheap. If you can find a local powdercoating shop that can do what you want it will run about the same as a custom paintjob. If not a little bit more. Not sure on the custom work, but I sent my old shovel rims out to get powdercoated a month ago for my bro who bought it and it ran $275 for the pair just plain black. Eastwood sells home kits, but they require an electric oven to cure and you have to use a stove you don't intend to cook food in afterwerd. Not sure if they have custom colors.

If you get a good polyurethane or acrylic urethane enamel paint it will resist alot of scratches and chips, they are a very tough/hard paint. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

HK
Old 11-21-2002, 08:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

The powder they spray on with electrostatically charged equipment is some form of thermoplastic resin such as nylon, polyethelene, vinyl, etc. It is sprayed on a sandblasted surface. The item once coated with powder is then baked in an oven at 400F to literally melt the plastic powder onto the surface for a VERY tenacious bond. Items can have no lead or plastic fillers that wuold be destroyed boy the high baking temperature which pretty much rules out car bodies. I have done parts of car sheetmetal such as fender wells, radiator shrouds, etc. I don't know about Hallow's 'shovel rims' he had coated but if those are car wheels that cost sounds WAY too high a price. You should be able to get a car wheel done for about $25 - $30. A transmission case should run about $50, even with all the masking they require. Hallo is right, catalyzed urethane color/clear coat paints are so good in every way nowadays, it would be foolish to use anything else on a car body.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:48 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Thanks guys!
Slider in Wa.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.