Question on hood scoops - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2003, 12:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question on hood scoops

Hello all, I'm new here. I'm interested in fabricating a vent/scoop for the hood of my car. I've looked around a bit and searched through the backposts, and I've found some good information on how to make one. What I haven't found is anything on how they work.

I'm the type of guy who likes to know how something works inside out and backwards before they start in on it, and all I've found in terms of how they work is usually vague, and often contradicts other things I've read. This leads me to be curious as to whether there are different ways to modify the hood with vents/scoops/miscellaneous holes in terms of function.

I know I probably sound like a pathetic newb, but thanks in advance for any and all help, it's greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2003, 12:52 AM

depends what your scoop is supposed to do... is it an intake scoop, ie, one that sucks in cold air and sneds it (hopefully through a filter) into the carby, or just an engine bay vent/scoop to help keep engine bay temps down?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:29 AM

That was actually part of the question. How do either of them work?
Old 06-18-2003, 06:36 AM

ah...

well, an intake scoop is one that draws in air and feeds it into the carby. this is, in all probability, the type of scoop you're talking about. it's the type you'd see reaching for the sky on dragsters.

a vent is more just a slot, louvre or whatever whacked in there to let the hot air escape, for reduced temperatures, or better looks.

the best way to figure out how they actually work is go to a show and look at some. but basically, for an intake scoop, it needs to draw air in from the front, and then, as you close the hood, match up with the intake on top of the carbies so that the carbies draw their air from their, where it's colder and denser (and hence FASTER) than the air under the hood.

no offence, but if you're asking how they work, you should probably go buy a cheapo hood for some POS, and try it out on that. otherwise you're extremely likely to ruin your car's hood.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:29 PM

Thanks a lot, Autocol. I was planning on buying a junker hood or two to practice on (maybe just a junker hood from the same make and model, and if it comes out right, switching out the hoods). I'm also planning on going to a car show later this month, and I will take your advice on paying attention to how they work. But, you did clear up a lot of my confusion; the big problem was I read stuff on them a couple of other places where they didn't distinguish between a vent and an intake scoop. Thanks a lot for your patience with my newbieness.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.