question on installed timing set on pontiac 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 03:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

question on installed timing set on pontiac 350

Hi guys have a question on the first ever motor i did a timing chain job on.

so i have a 1972 pontiac 350. i installed a timing set on it and the only one availbale at the time when i was doing the job was an edelbrock double roller chain set.

so this being my first time i didnt realize the the 3 key way slots on the crack gear were or -4, 0 or +4 degrees if timing. now im not so sure which position i put it in. the car starts up and drives fine, i have it timed at 14 degrees and it idles good. there is a slight stumble if i go full throttle but im not sure if its a carb issue with my edelbrock.

so my question is how do i find out if it is advanced, retarded or at 0 degrees without taking the cover off? at the time i had a garage, now we rent a house and our landlord would not be ok with me having the front of the motor taken apart in his driveway. is there any test i can preform

many thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

You would have to degree the cam , and it would be more trouble than a teardown because that engine is easy to get the timing cover off.
If you know what cam you have you can check the duration (degree the cam) against the advertised duration to see if it is advanced or not. However with the possibility of error at the damper timing mark, and tolerances in machining of the cam that is in it, and the fact that checking the advertised duration is tough as you will be checking on top of a valve retainer as the engine is assembled, and there could be substantial movement of the cam before the valve starts to move , skewing the measurement.
Short of putting on a degree wheel, using a piston stop to zero it, and checking the lift there isnt much of a way to know without a teardown.

the margin of error could be as large as the 4 degrees error that you are trying to identify , by degreeing it, and if youre not familiar with the process, it could be a lot of frustration and wasted time.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:18 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

The short answer is: Pull the cover and take a look.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.