Question for metalworking guys - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 09:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question for metalworking guys

When I learn about something new, I tend to mentally try to apply it to things I see.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the bondo-less metalworking techniques discussed at length on the board.

Last night, I was looking at my truck (2000 Sierra). I noticed there is a welded seam where the back section of the cab, behind the door is attached to the door sill/rocker panel.

Was thinking that, if I were ever to paint the truck, I'd want to fill that seam in. Its a shallow line about 3/8" wide and maybe 1/8" or 1/16" deep.

In the past, I would have just spread a little bondo over it and been done.

Now I'm wondering how I would handle it without bondo.

Best thing I can come up with is to fit and weld a thin strip of metal over the gap, but I'm wondering if that's the best solution. Perhaps filling the area with weld and grinding it down?

What would be the best (hypothetical) way to handle this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
I know just the seam you are talking about, hung my fair share of rear cab corners. I would simply weld it up and grind it smooth.

Brian
Old 12-02-2005, 11:56 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

The other way, would be to use a pick and dolly, and hammer the recess forward. Won't be easy, for sure, but it is possible. They also use a Bullseye tool, for blind work. Depending on how anal you want to get, you can even raise the recesses left from tig welding, and the use a shrinking wheel to knock down any stretched materials. Look for Bondo on Randy Ferguson's Willys. (Randy's customer's car)
Old 12-02-2005, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys.

I'm really "gettin into" this bondo-free bodywork stuff. Not that I have anything against bondo, but it always seemed like all-metal bodywork (other than with lead) was far beyond anything I could do at home. It sort of takes things "up a notch", plus, it never hurts to have some extra uncommon skills - ya never know what the job market's going to bring in the future.

After reading the various threads, I can't wait to give it a try on my next project, whatever that ends up being.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

I hope you've been over to metalmeet.com, this is prolly the best website and or resource for metal working anywhere! You can learn so much by reading the past posts

Brendan
Old 12-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckucia
Thanks guys.

I'm really "gettin into" this bondo-free bodywork stuff. Not that I have anything against bondo, but it always seemed like all-metal bodywork (other than with lead) was far beyond anything I could do at home. It sort of takes things "up a notch", plus, it never hurts to have some extra uncommon skills - ya never know what the job market's going to bring in the future.

After reading the various threads, I can't wait to give it a try on my next project, whatever that ends up being.
Ckucia,

Kudo's to you for "gettin into" bondo-free bodywork stuff and understanding the quality of what can be accomplished. My eyes were opened and my own standards raised when I started hanging out with Randy Ferguson. Plus, once you increase in metalshaping skill it doesn't take much more time than using filler and sanding. Good luck with your efforts and as the previous post said, check out MetalMeet.com.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.