Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question on Mig Welding - HOW to
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 11:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bee, you apparently have the hood with the "Chameleon" lens which just happens to be the very same lens from the same manufacturer that makes them for the Hobart and Miller hoods, only the shell is different the lens is the same thing but for less than half the price (I have noticed recently that the newer Hobart/Miller hood has a new style lens and I don't know if it is the "Chameleon"). I have a Jackson that cost well over $400 and it is no better for the mentioned problem than any hood I have used including the Hobart/Miller/Harbor Freight which, BTW, is a very good outfit. I am not saying this a problem for everyone but it certainly is for me and apparently Modas also so that is why I would like to have someone try that little test I mentioned and see if this is a common problem. I found that the ability to see the seam greatly improved with the "stone age" hood to the point that I now use it instead but as you pointed out the initial arc start can be tricky.