Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question on Mig Welding - HOW to
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY I am not just talking about "I am man enough to have a little spark burn me" so you say "To hell with that cumbersome jacket, gloves and helmet, I can take it".

We are talking HEALTH Real life health issues that can creep up pretty quick. (click here) to read about a Eric (Sevt Chevelle) who found himself at 18 I think it was with zinc fume fever and permantly damaged lungs. He has to use two inhaler every day to get going and has to shoot a steroid into his lungs thru a shunt in his chest every week! Thank you Eric for posting this personal information for the good of your fellow man.

I got a nice lightweight welding jacket on Ebay for about $25.00. I have been using welding gloves now for a number of years EVERY TIME I pick up the gun, about $20.00. I buy nice soft gloves, there are some that are stiff, I agree they are very hard to work with. Take some time and go out and pick up a pair of nice soft ones. I recently went to using TIG gloves, they have paper thin leather fingers and palm and feel darn near sensual

I have gotten use to wearing a welding respirator EVERY TIME (3m # 7187 is a $20.00 disposable unit). It is comfortable IF YOU WANT IT TO BE. If you want to look for something to complain about, it is a pain in the ***. If you want to live to see your grand kids it is a tiny inconvenience that you get use to very fast. I can't stand the smell of welding anymore, I HAVE to wear it. It is MUCH more comfortable to wear it than not for me now.

My helmet, I am telling you guys you have to try one of these Cherokee helmets (click here) .

Red,yeah, I have to tell my eight year old son THAT IS NOT HOW YOU DO THAT over and over while watching those shows. The morons will grind on their laps not wearing googles! I am sorry guys, but not wearing safety equipment is just simply unprofessional. I don't care how good you are, if you are doing this stuff without protecting your body you look like drunken party goer tossing around a foot ball on the lawn compared to a pro on monday night football.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 11-12-2005 at 09:42 AM.