Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question on Mig Welding - HOW to
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I would think that welding aluminum could give you alzheimer's about 8 million times faster than the way you get it from eating food cooked in aluminum cookware. And who knows what else. I always clean aluminum with acetone and a dedicated wire brush right before I weld it. I think that might be a better way than using MEK. I remember one day I went into a friends shop who was cleaning these alum. panels with MEK. The vision and smell of him with a cigarette in his mouth, leaning over this 4X6' panel with a rag dripping with MEK all over him and the floor is forever etched in my memory. You could smell it in the street. I remember him saying, "Nah, this stuff won't hurt you." He was from the old days of tough guy manual machinists. He died last year from some bizzarro bone marrow disorder before he was 60. I don't doubt that his exposure to 40 years of coolant, welding fumes, carborundum and metal grinding dust, tar and nicotine and unsafe shop practices might of had some part in shortening his life. Is that what you mean by occupational hazards?

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example