A question for motorcycle guys - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 09:27 PM
efilnekcufecin

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A question for motorcycle guys

Ok here is the scoop.I have a chance to buy a 1978 Kawasaki 650 for a very good price,which I'll get to in a minute.

It needs a couple of things done to it.A new battery(dosent even have one)new rear caliper and pads,carb work,it runs slightly rich but still runs good.and possibly a new starter(does have a kick start).Overall the condition of the bike is good to average and it has 23,956 miles on it.However I havent heard it run yet(just looked at it tonight) and I'm going tomorrow to take another look,the guy said he needed to put new spark plugs in it.Oh yeah the tires look almost new.Here is the deal,he only wants $100 dollars for it.

So my question to you guys/girls is,should I get it?? or not waste my time??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2004, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

Hell ya!!

As long as you have few extra ducats to throw at it....remember make it SAFE before anything else!

What the hell can you do with a 'C' note these days anyways!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:08 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

I really don't like bikes, but I've never had any problem selling one and making money.
I just got a 77 Honda "Elsinore" dirt bike frame, and a 73 Honda 125 dirt bike with everything but the chain, front sprocket and sparkplug for $30. I traded the frame for a new chain and sprocket, and I've been riding it around.

I say go for it.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Better hear it run first...on all cylinders!

Sounds like the carb is gunked up from sitting->Rebuild including replacement of the slide needles and float needle and seat.

Tires are new? How new? If they are more than a few years old they will be rock hard and nothing more than rim protectors.

Brakes are expensive to repair and will likely mean hunting the motorcycle boneyards for parts, I doubt Honda will have part$ for that old a model but sometimes they use the same parts on later years...check it out before buying.

Starter non-function means solenoid or worse...the motor. If you have to kick that thing every morning you will regret it. Make sure the thing charges the battery when it's running, if it doesn't, run screaming as fast as you can.

All in all you would be better off finding a good used running version for $1000, it will cost you close to that just to get that bike ready and safe for the street. Any motorcycle for $100 is a nightmare waiting to happen, thats just my opinion.

I have owned 4 motorcycles over the years and have over 100 000 miles under my belt, be extremely picky about what you buy. Your life depends on it.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:20 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Tires are new? How new? If they are more than a few years old they will be rock hard and nothing more than rim protectors.

Why do they get hard like that, that fast?
Old 05-26-2004, 08:16 AM
efilnekcufecin

Last photo:

Thanks for the help guys.

4 jaw you bring up really good points.

This bike isnt going from the guy to the street,I dont even have my motorcycle permit yet,let alone license.I was planning on getting this bike,makeing it safe , and just riding it around my grandparents farm.They have alot of long gravel/dirt driveways.Just to see how much I would like riding and if this is something I would want to get into.Thats why the price sounded so right incase I didnt care for riding,then I wouldnt have invested to much $$$$$ into it and I could sell the bike for not much lost.

If this bike was going to be anymore than just a "trial/fun" bike I probably would not have even gone to look at it.I just thought if I did like it then while I was going through riding class's and getting my license then I could put money into it,over time(which it would take),to get it where it was a good running bike.Or just sell it and get a diffrent bike.

Maybe I should have explained this in the first post

Well anyway thanks for the help please keep it coming,I havent bought the bike yet.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by FASTCHEVY
Why do they get hard like that, that fast?
Dry Rot is a ******.

MoocH
Old 05-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

You should be in fine shape....
I just sold a Honda 450 on Ebay for $100 and the guy drove 3 hours to pick it up. I don't know why either since the engine was locked up tight.
If the work is too much for you it is possible to get away by selling the bike for a profit.
Have fun....

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.